Top cop in conservative Iran caught in brothel with six naked womenApril 16th, 2008 - 12:07 pm ICT by admin
London, Apr 16 (ANI): An Iranian police chief in-charge of checking corruption has been jailed after he was caught consorting with as many as six naked women in an underground brothel last week.
In Iran prostitution is illegal and punishable with death. Even talking about sex publicly is frowned upon by the hard-line clerics ruling the country.
General Reza Zarei, the police chief, was sent to jail, and the officials refused to comment on the case, saying it was into legal stage.
The order to raid the alleged brothel was given directly by Irans Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi, reported the timesonline.com.
Zarei was in charge of a program to clean cities from corruption and in recent months had reported arrests of young men and women for illicit relationships and not respecting the Islamic dress code.
Irans strict Islamic rules allow little socialising between the sexes, and young Iranians have been jailed and flogged for dancing together at birthday parties. Under Iranian law prostitution is punishable by death, but in the past decade prostitutes have become more visible on Iranian streets, mainly due to economic hardships.
The rise in prostitution has led to suggestions that brothels be legalised and monitored. Some Iranians say brothels could be run according to Islamic rules, perhaps under the Shiite Muslim tradition which allows men and women to enter into temporary marriages, sometimes for less than 24 hours. (ANI)
- Iran's supreme leader grants amnesty to 950 prisoners - Mar 17, 2009
- Delhi sex workers challenge eviction order in court - Jul 26, 2012
- Larijani's brother to become Iran's new judiciary chief - Jul 29, 2009
- Iran parliament speaker's brother to head judiciary - Aug 15, 2009
- Two Iranians sentenced to death over booze - Jun 26, 2012
- 'Mideast massive protests' a replay of 1979 Islamic revolution: Iranian conservatives - Jan 29, 2011
- TV series to explore life of Iran's last shah - May 14, 2011
- Plot to kill Iran's supreme leader unearthed - Dec 11, 2011
- Iran's ex-president ousted as head of key state body - Mar 08, 2011
- Ex-Iranian president's daughter jailed - Jan 04, 2012
- WikiLeaks reveals Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has terminal cancer - Nov 30, 2010
- South Korean president urges expansion of ties with Iran - Mar 17, 2009
- Thousands attend funeral of Hezbollah leader - Jul 07, 2010
- Planned Tehran march in support of Egypt protests will test Iranian regime: Opposition leader - Feb 09, 2011
- Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei praises unrest in Egypt, Tunisia - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: alleged brothel, ayatollah, birthday parties, brothels, clerics, economic hardships, hashemi, iranian law, iranians, islamic dress code, islamic rules, judiciary chief, mahmoud, muslim tradition, naked women, police chief, prostitutes, reza, shiite muslim, talking about sex