T.N. Shanbag of Strand Book Stall is deadFebruary 27th, 2009 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 27 (IANS) T.N. Shanbag, the bookseller to celebrities, opinion makers and the high and mighty in India, died at his home here Friday, a family friend said.
The owner of the Strand Book Stall, which grew from a small bookshop to a mega-brand, the 85-year-old is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
Shanbag was honoured a Padma Shri and had been unwell for some weeks.
He launched the Strand Book Stall in 1948. With his personalised service as well as keen understanding of the diverse reading habits and tastes of his clientele, it soon became a place frequented by the Who’s Who of the country.
Among his regular customers were India’s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru, Dalit leader B.R. Ambedkar, former presidents S. Radhakrishnan and A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, scientists Vikram Sarabhai and Homi Bhabha, leading writers, military personnel and diplomats.
- Shankar made the Ambedkar-Nehru cartoon in 1950s - May 11, 2012
- Now vote for 'The Greatest Indian' - Jun 05, 2012
- Homi J. Bhabha: the man who visualised India's nuclear capacity (Friday is Bhabha's birth centenary) - Oct 29, 2009
- Goa wants 'nuke-guru' Anil Kakodkar as president - Apr 28, 2012
- Thousands pay homage to Ambedkar on death anniversary - Dec 06, 2011
- Eight people of Indian origin in Padma list - Jan 25, 2012
- Mario, Dharmendra, Shabana conferred Padma awards - Apr 04, 2012
- Australia's bookshops to close down in five years? - Jun 15, 2011
- Kalam may not contest presidential election - Jun 18, 2012
- Indian astronaut to walk on Moon in 2025: Kalam - Jun 01, 2011
- Kalam out of presidential fight, BJP, Mamata red-faced (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Kalam's green mission at Rashtrapati Bhavan - Jul 02, 2012
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Advani defends Modi - Jul 08, 2012
- Dalits angry with derogatory Ambedkar cartoon: Athawale (With Image) - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, bookseller, bookshop, celebrities, clientele, dalit, diplomats, family friend, former presidents, homi bhabha, jawaharlal nehru, military personnel, padma shri, personalised service, prime minister jawaharlal, reading habits, s radhakrishnan, sarabhai, strand book stall, tastes