Tips for travel in the snowing Himachal hills (Sidebar)January 5th, 2011 - 11:24 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, Jan 5 (IANS) If you are keen for some adventure in the hills of Himachal Pradesh in the winter snow, here are a few tips:1. Make sure your trip is planned well in advance. Check on general road conditions and confirm whether the high mountain passes are open.
2. Most of the picturesque destinations in Kinnaur, Chamba, Lahaul and Spiti and Kullu districts are at high altitudes. During winter and monsoon, you must carry heavy woollens, jackets and some eatables as you may have to remain stranded at roadsides for days together.
3. If crossing high passes, good health is essential.
4. If driving in a four-wheeler, make sure you have an extra driver, especially if you plan to drive at night. Carrying extra fuel is must.
5. High mountains, though beautiful, are rugged, cold and inhospitable and no place for an inexperienced or ill-equipped trekker. In most of the cases, trekkers die from high-altitude sickness or on slipping off icy tracks or because they were marooned by blizzards. So prefer to trek in small groups with the help of local guides.
(Vishal Gulati can be contacted at email@example.com)
- It will be a wet Himachal this weekend - Aug 13, 2011
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Himachal likely to get 50,000 weekend tourists - Aug 09, 2012
- Search for MiG-29 wreckage, pilot on: IAF - Oct 20, 2011
- Foreigners mysteriously disappear in Himachal's valley of gods (Feature) - Sep 11, 2009
- For the perfect trekking experience at Himachal national park (Letter from Kullu) - Jun 11, 2012
- 'Summers for making money, winters for making merry' (Postcard from Lahaul and Spiti) - Nov 02, 2011
- Eat, gamble, enjoy - this Himachal town is happily cut off! - Jan 03, 2011
- Missing Israeli's father ends search in Himachal - Oct 19, 2009
- High adrenaline adventures in Himachal's rugged trails - Jun 01, 2011
- Working 24X7 to see light at the end of Rohtang tunnel - Jan 15, 2012
- Himachal's bountiful snow raises hopes from hydropower - Mar 03, 2011
- To parasail or trek across jungles, try Himachal (With Image) - May 12, 2010
- Permit must for Manali-Leh travel by non-Himachal vehicles - Jun 26, 2011
- Palanquin bearers to ferry patients in Himachal - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: blizzards, eatables, four wheeler, good health, high altitude sickness, high altitudes, high mountains, himachal hills, kullu, local guides, monsoon, picturesque destinations, road conditions, shimla, sidebar, small groups, spiti, trek, trekker, winter snow