Thousands throw wine at each other in Spain festJune 30th, 2012 - 11:43 am ICT by IANS
Logrono (Spain), June 30 (IANS/EFE) Thousands of people took part Friday in the Haro Wine Battle in the Spanish Rioja region, during which they threw some 6,000 litres of wine at each other in mock combat.
The traditional “battle” is celebrated every June 29 to commemorate a real conflict in medieval times between the inhabitants of the city of Haro and the adjacent town of Miranda de Ebro over possession of the Riscos de Bilibio, part of a small mountain chain.
According to a ruling by the kingdom of Castille in 1290, Haro’s inhabitants were required to re-stake their claim to the Riscos every June 29th in order to maintain ownership.
In the 1940s, visitors to the region - after eating and drinking their fill - began the ritual by throwing wine at each other in a brotherly “battle”.
This year authorities found their expectations surpassed by the great number of participants - between 6,000 and 8,000 - many coming from countries like Australia, Japan, Holland and elsewhere.
Social networks have spread the word about this festival, which joins others like the internationally famous tomato food fight, the “Tomatina”, organized in August in the town of Bunol in the eastern Spanish province of Valencia, that is attended by thousands of people from around the world.
- Tomato battle in Spain draws the young - Aug 30, 2012
- Spanish town launches yearly tomato `war' - Sep 01, 2011
- Tens of thousands of tomato fighters paint Spanish town red - Aug 03, 2010
- Thousands take part in bull-spearing fest in Spain - Sep 12, 2012
- Green groups see red over Tomatina in Goa - Oct 29, 2011
- Spaniards paint the town red in annual tomato fest - Aug 27, 2009
- 'Zindagi...' team hurl tomatoes at one another (With Images) - Mar 19, 2011
- Spanish soccer coach is dead - Jun 08, 2012
- Rain, storm leave thousands homeless in Brazil - Apr 25, 2010
- Spanish government prods banks to modify mortgages - Mar 11, 2012
- Julio Iglesias to hold concerts in Argentina - Feb 06, 2012
- 12,000 evacuated due to floods in US state - Jun 26, 2011
- Cuban zombie film to premiere at Toronto film fest - Aug 04, 2011
- Mob kills murder suspect in Brazil - May 16, 2012
- Ring worth $500,000 recovered from sunken ship - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: 1940s, bunol, castille, efe, food fight, holland, inhabitants, june 29, logrono spain, medieval times, miranda de ebro, mock combat, possession, rioja region, riscos, social networks, spanish province, stake, tomatina, tomato food