Thanksgiving Dilemma Numero Uno: How Long To Cook A TurkeyNovember 25th, 2010 - 7:46 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Nov 25, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Though scrambling the web at the last moment for turkey recipes might not be the most fun thing to do on Thanksgiving, the web has been abuzz with recipes and tips on how to cook the perfect Thanksgiving dinner. For all those cooking turkeys for the first time, it is essential to keep in mind some basic details on the art of preparing the perfect stuffed or unstuffed turkey. This year there has also been a buzz surrounding grilled turkeys and unusual stuffing recipes, but the ones who want to stick to traditions should keep in mind that ‘old is gold’.
Considering the size of the bird, it is essential to keep in mind that the turkey needs more time than cooking the chicken. The texture of the flesh is slightly different too and thus the technique involved in its cooking can sometimes by tricky for those cooking it for the first time. Based on the weight of the turkey, food bloggers have offered approximate times that the bird should be kept in the oven. For birds that weigh between 3-3.5kgs the time varies from 2 and half to 3 and half hours depending on whether one wants stuffing or not. A stuffed bird, naturally, needs more cooking time and also extra resting time (20+ minutes) for the juices to spread throughout the bird.
For a bird weighing more than 5 kgs, the cooking time for a stuffed recipe can go up to 4 hours. Many complain that the meat of the turkey has a tendency to become hard and chewy in spite of long hours of cooking. To avoid the problem, one should make sure that the brining is done properly (most recommended: overnight).
- Tips To Cook A Turkey To Perfection On Thanksgiving - Nov 21, 2010
- Stuffing Recipes Create Buzz On The Web Before Thanksgiving - Nov 22, 2010
- It's Time To Roast The Turkey! - Nov 25, 2010
- Exciting Traditional Turkey Stuffing Recipes For Thanksgiving - Nov 21, 2010
- Tips To Avoid The Biggest Turkey Mistakes - Nov 11, 2010
- Post Thanksgiving, Turkey Soup Is The Best Bet - Nov 27, 2010
- Information on Brining turkeys - Nov 24, 2011
- Hotline Of Butterball Is Accessible Now For The Preparation Of Scrumptious Turkeys - Nov 25, 2010
- Turkey Recipe Featured In Latest Google Doodle - Nov 24, 2010
- Avoiding the Season's Biggest Turkey Mistakes - Nov 11, 2010
- Butterball Turkey Paves Way For Healthy Turkey Dishes - Nov 25, 2010
- Butterball Turkey Talkline Available For Turkey Cooking Without Fuss - Nov 25, 2010
- The biggest turkey mistakes that you need to avoid on Thanksgiving - Nov 11, 2010
- Mexico City Cooks Up World's Largest Enchilada - Oct 19, 2010
- Christmas feast: Turkey takes centre stage at dinners in Goa - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: approximate times, bloggers, buzz, cooking turkeys, dilemma, flesh, fun thing, half hours, how long to cook a turkey, juices, kar, last moment, meena, old is gold, spite, stuffing recipes, thanksgiving, thanksgiving dinner, turkey food, turkey recipes