TAPI pipeline issue will be discussed next week: Pak MinisterApril 19th, 2008 - 4:26 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Apr 19 (ANI): Pakistan Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Khwaja Mohammad Asif has said that a high-level meeting will be held next week to resolve the contentious issues that are responsible for delay in finalisation of the four-nation four billion dollars Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline project.
The steering committee meeting on Tapi is scheduled to be held from April 22 to 24, said Asif adding that the project would help in promoting political goodwill in the region.
The 1,435-km pipeline, which will originate in Turkmenistans Daultabad gas field, will run 145-km in the host country, 735-km in Afghanistan and 555-km in Pakista.
The project is predicted to be completed by 2018.
Meanwhile, in a meeting with Iranian Ambassador Mashallah Shakari, Asif said Pakistan was vigorously pursuing both the Iran-Pakistan-India (IPI) and the TAPI projects to meet its growing energy needs and reduce dependence on furnace oil.
Talking about the economic and political importance of the IPI project for the region, Asif said that its early implementation would strengthen and expand economic and trade relations among the countries in the region.
He welcomed Indias participation in the project and assured that all possible transit facilities would be provided for the Iranian gas to India through Pakistan, the Dawn reported. (ANI)
- Gas from TAPI likely to flow in five years: Official - Aug 18, 2012
- India signs gas supply pact with Turkmenistan - May 23, 2012
- Iran to ask India for spurring tri-nation pipeline - Aug 27, 2012
- Zardari, Manmohan may meet on sidelines on Turkmenistan summit this weekend - Dec 09, 2010
- India to get gas from Turkmenistan - May 17, 2012
- IPI on backburner, India hopeful of TAPI by 2015 - Jan 07, 2011
- India signs four-nation Turkmenistan gas pipeline deal (Lead) - Dec 12, 2010
- Four-nation gas deal signed in Turkmenistan - Dec 12, 2010
- Turkmenistan gas pipeline transit fee finalised: Minister - Apr 26, 2012
- TAPI pipeline to India could be pipedream: Pakistani daily - Dec 15, 2010
- India discusses TAPI pipeline project with Afghanistan - Jan 10, 2011
- Pakistan, Turkmenistan ink five accords - Nov 15, 2011
- India, Pakistan say strategy soon for gas import from Turkmenistan - Jan 25, 2012
- India, Pakistan to sign four-nation gas deal - Dec 09, 2010
- 7.6-bn-dollar TAPI gas pipeline accord inked - Dec 12, 2010
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, billion dollars, committee meeting, contentious issues, dependence, furnace oil, gas pipeline project, host country, ipi, iran pakistan, iranian ambassador, islamabad, khwaja mohammad, mohammad asif, natural gas, pakistan india, pakistan petroleum, political goodwill, steering committee, transit facilities