Take your dad back to 70s - gift him retro look (Father’s Day is on June 19)(With Images)June 17th, 2011 - 4:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) If Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra can do it, why not your dad? This Father’s Day, gift your dad a retro makeover with jazzy clothes in psychedelic hues and floral prints, teamed with striking goggles and scarves, and let him tell the world…’bbuddah…hoga tera baap!’
The sexagenarian Amitabh has sported trendy jackets, floral shirts and colourful eyewear to suit his character of an old man who feels young, in his home production “Bbuddah…Hoga Tera Baap”.
So it might be a bright idea to make your father feel just the same way, say designers.
“Retro menswear can bring a new look to the wardrobe. From dark and understated to bold, vibrant and funky designs, there is a plethora of options available which can make your father look younger. However, the look you choose depends completely on personal taste,” Bangalore-based designer Neetu Chopra told IANS.
The designer points out how bell-bottoms and bright shirts were once a fad not just with film heroes but with common men too. And the retro style outfits and accessories as gift can take dads down the memory lane.
Designer Meera Gupta said: “The retro look is what our fathers have already seen and worn. So it is the best look one can gift to them as this will give them a chance to revisit the past. Try for slim-fit, short, bold printed shirts with white wide bottom pants or tightfitted t-shirts with stripes or even prints with off-white high waist pants.”
The retro look was popularised in late 1960s and 1970s thanks to stars like Rajesh Khanna, Dharmendra, Vinod Khanna and Amitabh. The look has made a comeback of sorts on the big screen owing to recent movies of veterans like Amitabh and even Dharmendra as well as experiments with their looks by younger actors like Shah Rukh Khan, Akshay Kumar and Ajay Devgn.
While Dharmendra’s jazzed up style was seen in “Yamla Pagla Deewana”, Shah Rukh, Akshay and Ajay experimented with the retro fever in “Om Shanti Om”, “Action Replayy” and “Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai” respectively.
Here’s how to go about the makeover, says designer Monika Arora of the label Kapil and Monika.
“I think the retro look is really cool. You just have to dig into your dad’s wardrobe. If he still has his clothes from his college days, choose a nice pair of bell bottoms with a good amount of flare. Team it up with a nice shirt with polka dots.
“You could also make him wear a fitted jacket matching the pants. I would suggest you could have him grow his sidelocks for a more natural 1970s look and team the look with big shades and a thin belt…and voila! Your dad’s ready with the perfect retro look for Father’s Day,” Arora said.
Accessorising the look in the right manner is also necessary, says Gupta.
“High-heeled shoes can add grace to the overall look, and tying a scarf around the neck is completely in fashion. If your dad is really fine with experimenting, then some funky neckpiece can also be a good choice, but only as a replacement for a scarf.”
You can dress your dad the retro way easily within a range of Rs.5,000 to Rs.15,000 if you head to designer stores, and for much lesser at street shops.
A dinner date with the retro dad thereafter would be a perfect idea too!
(Nivedita Sharma can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Amitabh shoots for next AB Corp film 'Bbuddah - Hoga terra baap!' - Mar 07, 2011
- Amitabh flaunts two watches in 'Bbuddah' (With Images) - May 23, 2011
- I'll work till my body works: Amitabh Bachchan - Jun 13, 2011
- 'Bbuddah...' role reminds Big B of college days - Jun 10, 2011
- Big B on playing 'Bbuddah...' and becoming a granddad - Jun 26, 2011
- Small screen made Amitabh Big B: Dharmendra - Jul 08, 2011
- Off with little black dress! Trousers are in - Jul 18, 2011
- It's the Big B through and through in 'Bbuddah...' (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Jul 02, 2011
- Retro to Hawaiian with a twist: Summer fashion for men - May 22, 2012
- Wanted to prove Big B is not old: Director (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- I wanted to prove that Big B is not old: Jagannath (Interview, With Image) - Jun 30, 2011
- Don't compare 'Bbuddah...' with 'Delhi Belly', requests Big B - Jun 24, 2011
- Raveena addicted to 'D.K. Bose' (Movie Snippets) - Jul 26, 2011
- Age is a state of mind: Amitabh Bachchan (Interview) - Jun 29, 2011
- 'Bbuddah...Hoga Terra Baap' Amitabh album all the way (IANS Music Review) - Jun 18, 2011
Tags: ajay, akshay kumar, amitabh bachchan, bell bottoms, bright idea, dharmendra, father s day gift, floral prints, floral shirts, funky designs, meera, memory lane, pagla, personal taste, printed shirts, rajesh khanna, retro style, shah rukh khan, vinod khanna, younger actors