Student dies after winning 100-metre race, family protestsDecember 16th, 2008 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) An 18-year-old student fell unconscious and died soon after winning a 100-metre sprint race organised by a private management institute here Tuesday, and his breaved and shocked family claimed prompt medical help could have saved his life.Naveen Kharb, resident of Mundela Khurd, participated in the race organised by the Indraprastha Institute of Management and Technology in the sports complex in Hari Nagar of west Delhi Tuesday afternoon.
According to the police, Kharb, a second-year student at the institute, fell unconscious after winning the race and was rushed to the Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital where doctors pronouinced him dead.
Outside the hospital, Khrab’s family and relatives were enraged and accused the institute of negligence.
“Naveen suddenly fell unconscious after winning the race. I asked the organisers to call an ambulance but they took the matter very casually. Had they taken a prompt decision, Naveen would have been alive,” alleged Sunil, Naveen’s friend who too participated in the competition.
Khrab’s father Naresh said institute authorities did not take necessary steps to save the boy.
“The race was organised but neither any medical facility was available nor any medical team was present at the spot to deal with any mishap,” a visibly angry Naresh told reporters.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (West Delhi) Sharad Aggarwal said no post-mortem examination was conducted. “Since the family has not made any complaint to us, we have not registered any case,” he added.
Institute authorities refused to comment.
- Cyclist crushed, six injured by bus in Delhi (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- 70-year-old jumps off flyover - May 08, 2011
- Student forced to finish race dies - Feb 11, 2011
- Student commits suicide in Delhi - Jun 10, 2012
- Poisonous gas in well kills three - May 18, 2011
- Mother poisons daughters, self - Nov 08, 2011
- Jailed Suresh Kalmadi to undergo brain scan - Jul 16, 2011
- Delhi Metro to connect more hospitals - Apr 11, 2012
- 10 Delhi residents killed in Himachal accident (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Athletes, cyclists to take Delhi CWG to the streets - Oct 08, 2010
- Businessman found strangled in Delhi - Aug 29, 2011
- Three police officials suspended for dereliction of duty - Jan 26, 2012
- Man commits suicide by jumping before train - Mar 26, 2011
- Kobad Ghandy's medical treatment plea rejected - Apr 08, 2010
- Two dead, three injured in building collapse in Delhi - Jul 24, 2012