Stubble is the way to win a womans heartJune 29th, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 29 (ANI): Tried everything from designer clothes to expensive colognes but still not successful in winning your dream girls heart? Well, then try growing stubble, for according to a new research, ladies are more smitten by men with stubbly chins than those with clean-shaven faces or full beards.
According to the study, which was conducted by Northumbria University researchers, stubble is the way to win a womans heart.
As for the reason, why women find men with stubble attractive: they find them tough, mature, aggressive, dominant and masculine - and as the best romantic partners, either for a fling or a long-term relationships.
The findings of the experiment, carried out on British women aged 18 to 44, could explain the appeal of actors such as George Clooney and Brad Pitt who cultivate their unshaven look.
The explanation for the preference is not clear, but experts in human evolution say that that facial hair may be a signal of aggression because it boosts the apparent size of the lower jaw, emphasizing the teeth as weapons.
The research team believes that stubbly men may offer women the best worlds - not too strongly masculine, but mature and with the potential to grow a full beard.
The researchers carried out the study using computer technology to alter pictures of 15 mens faces so that they displayed different degrees of hairiness. Five levels of facial hair were used - clean-shaven, light stubble, heavy stubble, light beard and full beard.
The pictures were shown to 76 women who were asked to rate them for masculinity, aggression, dominance, attractiveness, age, and social maturity.
They were also asked how desirable each man would be as a short-term or long-term partner. Faces with full beards were judged to be the most masculine, aggressive and socially mature. They were also thought to look five years older.
They were rated the least attractive and the worst choice for a short-term relationship. Men with light beards were considered the most dominant. Those with light stubble were rated the most attractive and as the ideal romantic partner for the short or long term.
Clean-shaven men finished bottom for masculinity, dominance, aggression, and social maturity, and they were the least favoured choice as a long-term partner. They came second-to-last for attractiveness.
Facial hair, or beardedness, is a powerful sociosexual signal, and an obvious biological marker of sexual maturity. Facial hair may have been sexually selected by females on the basis of associated male success, despite its threatening appearance. Clean-shaven faces therefore may suggest appeasement, as well as being an obvious sign of sexual immaturity, the Telegraph quoted the researchers, as saying.
“Increasing levels of facial hair were associated with increased perceptions of aggression, in that bearded faces were perceived as being the most aggressive, whilst clean-shaven faces were rated as being the least aggressive. And as facial hair increased in a linear fashion, so did female ratings of masculinity and dominance, they added.
The study is published in the journal Personality and Individual Differences. (ANI)
- Neha Dhupia prefers clean-shaven men - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Macho-looking' men more attractive to fertile women - Jan 11, 2011
- Rival's deep, masculine voice not enough to challenge a man's dominance - May 29, 2010
- Hairy chests are out: Clean-shaven torsos in - Jul 18, 2012
- Experts comment on Brad Pitt's beard - Jan 13, 2010
- Most women prefer men with feminine shaped faces: Study - Apr 25, 2011
- Asin gets adventurous - goes paragliding! (Movie Snippets) - Mar 01, 2012
- Feminine looks in men more likely to be hit with women - Apr 25, 2011
- Pitt shaves off beard - Jul 13, 2010
- Women can detect your hidden 'beauty' online - Nov 14, 2011
- Why girls find bad boys sexier? - May 26, 2011
- It's official: Men look at women's faces over bodies for marriage - Sep 15, 2010
- A strong male voice denotes dominance - May 29, 2010
- Women find men with smouldering eyes 'shifty' - May 13, 2012
- A tilt of the head 'is enough to attract a mate' - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: apparent size, beards, british women, chins, colognes, designer clothes, dream girls, facial hair, george clooney, human evolution, long term relationships, lower jaw, northumbria university, romantic partners, social maturity, stubble, term partner, term relationship, using computer technology, womans heart