Star Trek actor George Takei ”disappointed” by gay marriage banNovember 8th, 2008 - 2:40 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 8 (ANI): Former Star Trek actor George Takei has expressed his disappointment over the passing of a ban on same-sex marriage in California.
Takei, known for his role in the sci-fi series, and his long-term partner, Brad Altman, were the first to receive a marriage licence in West Hollywood after the court ruling.
He expressed his disappointment after the people of California voted to put a stop to gay marriage.
“There are going to be heartbreaks, setbacks and sacrifices to be made, but we will soldier on,” the Scotsman quoted Takei, as saying.
The Proposition 8 that seeks to ban same-sex marriages has stirred anger, protests, lawsuits and a deep sense of loss among gays in California.
Moreover, three lawsuits have already been filed by Wednesday night and others were being prepared.
“Government did not create marriage, and neither politicians nor legislators have the right to redefine its basic meaning,” Brian Brown, executive director of the National Organisation for Marriage California, said.
“Common sense, and concern for the common good, trumped ideology, bigotry and power politics here in California,” he added.
Nearly 52 pct of Californian voters favoured the ban, versus 48 per cent against. (ANI)
- George Takei celebrates new ruling over gay marriage - Aug 06, 2010
- The Pronouncement Of The Judge In California On The Legalization Of Sex-Same Unions Is Ready For Release - Aug 04, 2010
- California Governor Schwarzenegger applauds lifting of ban against same-sex marriage - Aug 13, 2010
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- California Federal Judge Vaughn Walker Overturns Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
- Gay judge overturns California's same-sex marriage ban - Aug 05, 2010
- British schools to teach kids about gay marriage - Feb 27, 2012
- Animator Seth MacFarlane Voices His Thoughts On Proposition 8 - Aug 05, 2010
- Gay marriages can resume in California - Aug 13, 2010
- Obama supports same-sex marriage (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Schwarzenegger backs gay marriage - Aug 07, 2010
- Unite to oppose gay marriage: Pope's envoy asks Muslims, Jews - Apr 28, 2012
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- Ellen DeGeneres, George Takei to remain married despite gay marriage ban - May 27, 2009
- California Supreme Court blocks same-sex marriage - upholds Prop 8 - May 27, 2009
Tags: actor george, bigotry, brad altman, californian, deep sense, gay marriage ban, george takei, marriage licence, national organisation, power politics, same sex marriage, same sex marriage in california, same sex marriages, sci fi series, scotsman, sense of loss, setbacks, star trek, term partner, west hollywood