Standing ovation for Kallol, Pankaj and Nidhi at LFW finaleAugust 8th, 2012 - 9:38 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 7 (IANS) The grand finale at the Lakme Fashion Week Winter Festive was a surprising affair as young designers Kallol Datta and husband-wife duo Pankaj and Nidhi receiveing a standing ovation from the audience and Bollywood actress Kareena Kapoor walking the ramp for the young designers.
“I am very happy to be able to encourage new talent. It is an honour to be wearing their clothes. I should be thanking them for giving me the opportunity to wear these clothes,” the actress said.
Kareena looked her best in a long black and white jacket dress over a black bustier and leggings for designer Kallol Datta. She sported an edgy look for Pankaj and Nidhi with a jet blacksignature basket woven top with infusions of leather with ‘long fringe detailing’ which added more grace on the ramp.
Last year, Kapoor was seen in an angelic avatar, walking the ramp for fashion designer Manish Malhotra for Lakme Fashion Week.
The finale set was elaborately decorated with the backdrop having huge revolving mirror walls which turned to form an entrance for the models to walk through. There were metallic cut outs hanging from the ceiling.
The collections can be described as futuristic in their look and feel and were a part of the Lakme Absolute’s Monochrome collection. A common theme of black and white ran through both the collections.
Kallol’s collection included prints on knee length dresses, pants and skirts having monochromatic undertones.
Pankaj and Nidhi’s collection was graphic, monochromatic black and whites. The clothes had a strong contrast and very visually stimulating and exciting for the fashionistas. They had a graphic model theme and included outfits like dresses, jackets with tassels and pants to name a few.
The couples said they felt excited when Kareena agreed to walk for them.
“We were excited. She is a huge star who is currently at the top her game. She is a fantastic performer. She is so beautiful and versatile with the ability to carry something so modern,” said Pankaj.
While Kallol started his career few years ago as a Gen Next designer for the event, Pankaj and Nidhi, originally from Delhi, made their debut in Mumbai Tuesday.
“When we got a call we couldn’t believe it for a while. It’s a great opportunity for new comers like us,” Pankaj added.
The Lakme Fashion Week Winter/Festive 2012, which started Aug 3 ended Tuesday night and saw as many as 86 participating designers and 10 sponsors.
Also for the first time, celebrated couturier Pallavi Jaikishan with over 40 years in the fashion industry was seen on the LFW runway, alongside other renowned designers like Neeta Lulla, Anita Dongre, Krishna Mehta and Ritu Beri.
- Kareena helped in brand building: Pankaj-Nidhi - Aug 08, 2012
- LFW Winter-Festive puts spotlight on new talents, Indian weaves (Curtain-raiser ) - Aug 01, 2012
- Kallol Datta, Pankaj-Nidhi to present LFW grand finale - May 24, 2012
- Kareena to catwalk at LFW finale? - Jul 10, 2012
- Archana Kochhar gives retro twist to digital prints - Aug 07, 2012
- Wearability, comfort are important for me: Debarun Mukherjee (With Images) - Aug 05, 2012
- Turkish Empire recreated on ramp - Feb 20, 2012
- Chic outfits in bold avtars to dominate 2012 - Jan 01, 2012
- 86 designers to showcase at LFW Winter fest - Jul 11, 2012
- Dhoti-clad Prateik walks the ramp for Masaba - Mar 02, 2012
- My collection inspired by today's Marilyn Monroe: Ritu Beri - Aug 04, 2012
- GOW actress Huma puts her best foot forward at LFW - Aug 07, 2012
- LFW: Jatin Verma, Vizyon showcase a glamorous, gothic collection - Aug 04, 2012
- Dia, Sameera cheer for Shantanu-Nikhil - Feb 15, 2012
- Manish Malhotra brings curtains down on LFW in style - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: actress kareena kapoor, black and whites, cut outs, datta, designer manish malhotra, fashion designer, fashionistas, grand finale, graphic model, husband wife, infusions, kareena kapoor, knee length, lakme fashion week, leggings, mirror walls, nidhi, pankaj, standing ovation, wife duo