Sorafenib drug may improve survival in primary liver cancer patientsJune 29th, 2008 - 2:09 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 29 (ANI): A new study has revealed that sorafenib drug can improve survival rate among patients with primary liver cancer by 40 pct.
The study led by the Barcelona Hospital Clinic has shown that in patients with primary hepatocarcinomas (liver tumours) taking the drug, are likely to live 40 pct more on average compared to those not taking it.
Hepatocarcinoma is the most frequent hepatic tumour, fifth in overall worldwide cancer rates and the third cause of cancer deaths in the world
Sorafenib has been the first to demonstrate its efficacy and the European Medicines Agency has recently authorised its use for this tumour, given that it can prolong patient survival at the cost of some side effects, which, in 80% of cases, are manageable with a number of preventative or therapeutic measures.
The study also included researchers from the University Hospital of the University of Navarra, together with other hospitals in Spain. (ANI)
- Metformin may protect against liver cancer - Apr 02, 2012
- Combination treatment ineffective for advanced melanoma patients - Jun 06, 2010
- Cancer treatment pioneered in Melbourne being hailed a global lifesaver - Jun 13, 2010
- 'Pregnant women more vulnerable to Hepatitis E-induced liver failure' (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 26, 2012
- Vaccine extends life of brain cancer patients - Apr 19, 2012
- New approach could reverse liver failure - Aug 06, 2012
- Turmeric 'the right spice' to fight colon cancer - Mar 03, 2011
- Drug combo found effective against pancreatic cancer - Jun 16, 2010
- This jab could revolutionise cancer treatment - Apr 15, 2011
- Clinical trial offers hope for Hepatitis C patients - Mar 15, 2011
- Turmeric can fight colon cancer - Mar 03, 2011
- '40 million infected with Hepatitis B in India' - Jul 26, 2011
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- Coffee can cure hepatitis C - Jun 08, 2011
- Circulating tumour cells in blood up death risk in early-stage breast cancer patients - Dec 11, 2010
Tags: barcelona, cancer deaths, cancer rates, cause of cancer, efficacy, european medicines, hospitals, june 29, liver cancer patients, liver tumours, medicines agency, patient survival, primary liver cancer, sorafenib, spain, survival rate, therapeutic measures, university of navarra