Soon, dictionary to describe clothes like whorts, cardigowns, treggingsSeptember 22nd, 2010 - 3:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 22 (ANI): The changing fashion trend is seeing a number of new styles with new names coming up, which have left most shoppers baffled as to what exactly they are buying.
To ease customers’ confusion, department store Debenhams has decided to release a dictionary, as it feels no one understands the plethora of new descriptions and phrases emerging from the fashion industry.
Some of the terms and meanings included in the dictionary are cardigown (a long cardigan, belted like a dressing gown), whorts (thick, woolly winter shorts worn over tights), mube (a maxi tube dress) and treggings (leggings that look like trousers).
“It’s now easier to understand Sanskrit than some of the words commonly used by commentators within the fashion industry to describe garments,” the Daily Mail quoted Debenhams spokesman Lizzie Singleton as saying.
“Shakespeare managed to accurately describe the entire human condition using simple English, so we’re certain the fashion industry can do the same to describe a pair of trousers.
“It’s virtually a secret language, designed solely for fashion experts and people who spend every day reading fashion magazines,” Singleton added.
Other words in the dictionary are skorts (skirt-like shorts, or culottes), shoots (something in between a shoe and a boot), mandals (sandals for men), meggings (male leggings) and mace (male lace). (ANI)
- Manish Arora, Narendra Kumar tie up with Debenhams - May 18, 2011
- Paris Hilton's low-cut top nearly reveals all in her latest fashion faux pas - Feb 26, 2011
- Japanese designs create a stir on Indian runway - Mar 12, 2011
- Designer Gaurav Gupta to showcase at Alchemy - Mar 18, 2012
- Women's Party Wear: Wear The Right Outfit For The Right Shape And Right Attitude - Jan 06, 2011
- LFW designers set to bring Ladakh's hues, shades on ramp (With Images) - Jul 13, 2011
- I want to see Angelina Jolie in my clothes: Klass - Jul 26, 2012
- Go for Pakistani fashion this Eid: Archana Kochhar - Nov 06, 2011
- Dev Anand Bollywood's original style icon: Designers - Dec 04, 2011
- Sexting is official, you may retweet it - Aug 18, 2011
- Jenny Packman launches new outlet at Debenhams - Feb 07, 2012
- Neeru Kumar pays tribute to Indian fabrics at WIFW - Apr 06, 2011
- It's time India sets the trends: Neeru Kumar - Apr 07, 2011
- Go for jackets, dark colours this winter - Nov 11, 2010
- 'Joking computer' to give stand up comedians run for their money! - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: cardigan, commentators, daily mail, debenhams, department store, dressing gown, fashion experts, fashion industry, fashion magazines, fashion trend, garments, leggings, lizzie, mace, plethora, sandals, secret language, singleton, tights, tube dress