Sonia gifted first volume of 13-part Congress historyJuly 24th, 2012 - 11:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 25 (IANS) Congress chief Sonia Gandhi was presented the first book in a 13-volume series chronicling the party’s history from its inception in 1885 to India’s Independece in 1947.
The “Proceedings of the Indian National Congress Vol-1 (1885-1889)” was presented to her at her residence, 10, Janpath by National Archives of India director-general Mushirul Hasan, who is compiling the series
The series is published by Niyogi Books.
“In fact, I have not written the book. For a long time, I have been compiling the proceedings of the Congress sessions published that time. They were either being destroyed or not being easily available. Therefore, the real story behind each and every session was more or less lost,” Hasan told IANS of his reason for putting together the volume.
The series was a major force in understanding the history of Indian national movement through the history of the Congress party, Hasan said.
“It is not just one histories, but the histories of the Congress,” he said.
Hasan said he wrote “a substantial research-based introduction for the first volume and will continue in the subsequent volumes”.
The books shed light on details of the sessions like “who spoke where, when and the names of the people”, Hasan said.
The copies of the sessions were sourced from various libraries around the country. “It has been going on for quite a while — five years,” Hasan said.
- Reviving the Parsee Punch with new pickings (With images) - May 07, 2012
- For those with wanderlust, Delhi Book Fair is the stop - Aug 29, 2011
- Mushirul Hasan appointed DG of National Archives of India - May 14, 2010
- National Archives tell India's Independence story (With Image) - Aug 15, 2010
- Comic book on movies comes to India with 'Don: The Origin' (With Image) - Dec 20, 2011
- Tagore, nuclear diplomacy, Sufi... thought-provoking book stack (IANS Book This Week) - May 12, 2011
- Tucked away in library, a slice of freedom struggle - Mar 24, 2011
- Sonia sets several records in Congress history - Sep 02, 2010
- Katrina as animated fairy in music album - Sep 07, 2011
- Top French honour for Mushirul Hasan - Jul 13, 2010
- Hues of India: History, drama, culture valour on bookshelf (IANS Books This Week) - Mar 03, 2011
- Journalist's book on Indian political history released - Oct 19, 2011
- World looking at us through 'Bollywood window': Writer Mushtaq Sheikh - May 29, 2012
- Kannada model-actress scripts book on Rahul Gandhi's leadership - Feb 27, 2012
- Gunfire, spirituality and call of wild on book cart (IANS Books This Week) - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: congress chief, congress party, congress sessions, director general, histories, inception, independece, indian national congress, libraries, long time, mushirul hasan, national archives, national archives of india, New Delhi, proceedings, sonia gandhi, substantial research, vol 1, volume series