Sonam made a brave choice for Cannes red carpet: DesignersMay 17th, 2011 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) Fashion savvy Sonam Kapoor made her debut on the Cannes red carpet in a Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2009 couture gown and designers feel that the classic and vintage look suited her well and enhanced her figure.
L’Oreal brand ambassador Sonam attended “The Artist” premiere at the 64th Annual Cannes Interntaional Film Festival May 15 in the form-fitted net gown and teamed it up with Chopard earrings, an Amrapali ring and peep-toe heels by Salvatore Ferragamo.
More than her dress, it was her shapely buttocks that attracted eyeballs. Designer Nil of label Dev R Nil, who designed one of her the dresses for a press conference at Cannes, thinks she made a brave choice in choosing a dress which was different from Indian sensibilities.
“She has gone for a very classic and vintage look. I think it was quite a brave choice considering such an architectural draping and completely non-embroidered gown which was quite contrary to the Indian sensibilities. The gown was beautiful and well-constructed, highlighting her butt. Also her hair-do and make up was kept very minimal keeping in mind her face and bone structure,” Nil told IANS.
“She also wore a one piece shift gown which was very beautiful, and on another occassion, a lovely polka dotted silk sari with a shirt inspired blouse designed by good friend Masaba Gupta. She is a style icon in herself and she proved it once again,” he added.
For designer Arpan Vohra, Sonam scored highest in comparison to her counterparts like Aishwarya Rai and Mallika Sherawat.
“The gown was a couture piece of modern inspired artwork and Sonam looked very chic in it. She is tall and that helps her carry the gown with a long trail with ease. She loves to experiment and here too she scored the highest in comparison to her counterparts,” Vohra told IANS.
The 25-year-old managed to grab eyeballs for revealing her butt in the gown and designer Varija Bajaj says it was because of technical flaw in the gown.
“From a distance I liked her overall bold look which she carried with great style for her first appearance. Technically the outfit was badly finished with raw seams of net and not so twisted hip clutcher. She did her best in choosing the outfit, but the designer should be blamed for the technical faults. She could have also demanded a better finishing from the designer,” said Bajaj.
“If the designer could have used a small hole net than a big hole, it would have looked more graceful. In short, good design and style by the designer, but technically flawed execution,” she added.
- From films to fashion - Cannes rolls out red carpet for all (With images) - May 23, 2012
- 'Elizabethan Era' inspires Shantanu-Nikhil (With Image) - Jul 15, 2011
- Jessie J wore Falguni-Shane creation at Diamond Jubilee celebration (With Images) - Jun 07, 2012
- Mixing styles: Ravi Bajaj set for Dubai Fashion Week - Oct 17, 2011
- Fashion forward for Bollywood with 'Aisha' (With Images) - Jul 15, 2010
- Parna Ghose goes to NY Couture Fashion Week - Sep 06, 2012
- Who says short girls can't flaunt gowns? (With Images) - Jun 06, 2012
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (Lead with correction in second para) - Aug 10, 2012
- Kate Middleton best dressed bride, say Indian designers - Apr 29, 2011
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Sonam to play JNU girl opposite Dhanush in new film - Mar 17, 2012
- Not styling Ash for Cannes red carpet: Sabyassachi - May 20, 2012
- The drape is reborn - sari gets sexy avatar (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
- 'Ishkq In Paris' important for Preity and me: Designer (With Images) - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: aishwarya rai, amrapali, blouse, bone structure, buttocks, couture gown, eyeballs, gupta, jean paul gaultier, l oreal, mallika sherawat, occassion, peep toe heels, red carpet, salvatore ferragamo, sensibilities, silk sari, sonam kapoor, style icon, varija bajaj