Snowless Himachal not so inviting this New Year’s eve?December 30th, 2011 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Dec 30 (IANS) Bright sunny days in the hills of Himachal Pradesh are thawing away the tourists’ plans to usher in the New Year in a snowy landscape.
Members of the hospitality industry here say they are not getting overwhelming response from tourists this year due to dry, snowless weather across the state.
“After a snowless Christmas, it’s now the turn of a ‘warm’ New Year’s Eve,” D.P. Bhatia of Clarke’s Hotel told IANS.
“We are daily getting a number of enquiries regarding possibility of snow on the last day of the year. Some of the tourists definitely opted Kashmir due to snowfall there this season,” Bhatia said.
“Even Shimla’s neighbouring tourist resorts like Kufri and Narkanda have nothing to offer to the tourists. They experienced the first spell of snow in the beginning of this month but it melted within a few hours,” he added.
Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corp (HPTDC) general manager Yogesh Behl said Christmas was quite bad for the tourism industry this year. “Now the same weather conditions persist.”
But Behl said the tourism corporation has been luring tourists by talking about the sunny conditions in the hills during winters. “As the sun eludes the residents in the plains due to dense fog, a bright morning in the hills is an attraction.”
Shimla’s meteorological director Manmohan Singh said popular tourist destinations Shimla, Kasauli, Narkanda, Dharamsala, Palampur, Manali, Chamba and Dalhousie have all been experiencing sunny days for over two weeks.
Tourist resort Manali has turned out to be more picturesque and magnetic for holidaymakers owing to plentiful snow in its nearby hills.
Manali experienced a moderate spell of snow Dec 10 but the white flakes melted within a few days.
- Himachal's snowy peaks pull in tourists - Dec 12, 2011
- Still snowing tourists in Himachal hills - Mar 25, 2011
- Himachal warms up to Christmas tourist rush - Dec 23, 2010
- Manali wrapped in white again - Jan 05, 2012
- Fresh snowfall drapes Shimla in white - Feb 26, 2011
- Manali freezes at minus 7 degrees - Jan 10, 2012
- Snow-clad mountains luring tourists to Himachal - Nov 19, 2010
- It's a dry Christmas in Himachal resorts this year - Dec 24, 2011
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Himachal in line for more snow (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Bright sunny day in Himachal - Jan 01, 2011
- Shimla, Manali get more snowfall (Lead) - Feb 26, 2011
- Good Friday weekend drives tourists to Himachal - Apr 22, 2011
- Head to Himachal hills for a white V-Day - Feb 12, 2012
- Snowfall drapes Dharamsala, Shimla in white - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: behl, bhatia, bright sunny days, chamba, dense fog, first spell, hospitality industry, hptdc, kufri, manmohan singh, narkanda, nearby hills, plentiful snow, shimla, snowy landscape, sunny conditions, tourism corporation, tourism development, weather conditions, yogesh