Smile is the most attractive physical feature, says surveyFebruary 11th, 2009 - 1:48 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 11 (ANI): With Valentines Day just round the corner, a new US survey has taken the opportunity to answer a question that has left many people puzzled: what do people find most attractive in others?
Well, the answer is: smile.
According to a survey from the American Dental Association and Crest and Oral B, the smile outranks eyes, hair and the body when it comes to the most attractive physical feature.
Yet men and women differ when it comes to taking care of their teeth and gums. The survey of 1,000 Americans ages 18 and older found 86 percent of women brush their teeth twice or more a day, yet only 66 percent of men do so.
The survey also found that women say they change their toothbrush or power toothbrush head every 3-4 months on average, yet men hang on to theirs an average of 5 months.
Only half of those surveyed (49 percent) say they floss their teeth once a day or more often. And 1 out of 3 people surveyed think a little blood in the sink after brushing their teeth is normal, yet its notit could signal gum disease or another health problem.
Oral health is an important part of overall health. Regular dental check-ups are important not only to diagnose and treat gum disease and tooth decay, but also because some diseases or medical conditions, such as oral cancer, have symptoms that can appear in the mouth.
We need to constantly get the word out how important it is to stay on top of your oral health, says Dr. Ada Cooper, an ADA consumer advisor and practicing dentist in New York City.
Brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, flossing daily, eating a balanced diet, and visiting your dentist regularly can help keep your smile healthy, the expert added. (ANI)
- 'Ignorance takes toll on oral health' (September 12 is World Oral Health Day) - Sep 12, 2012
- Flossing cuts risk of heart attack - Nov 09, 2010
- 49 percent Indians do not use toothbrush: Survey - Apr 12, 2010
- 80 percent of Delhi residents have dental ailments - Dec 07, 2010
- Postmenopausal women urged to increase yearly dental checkups - Mar 11, 2011
- India has lowest per capita toothbrush consumption: Survey - Oct 12, 2011
- Want a baby? Take good care of your gums - Jul 06, 2011
- Over 50 percent Indians suffer from tooth problems: Survey - Nov 27, 2010
- Most people brush their teeth the wrong way - May 16, 2012
- Fluoride in water good for dental health - Aug 25, 2010
- Rubbing toothpaste on gums protects against cavities - Mar 28, 2012
- Clean your teeth twice a day to stave off heart attack - May 28, 2010
- 67 percent Indians have never visited a dentist: Survey - Aug 22, 2009
- Brush your teeth twice daily to avoid heart disease - May 28, 2010
- Toothpaste with triclosan/copolymer kills mouth bacteria - Apr 14, 2010
Tags: 4 months, 5 months, american dental association, attractive physical feature, check ups, dental check, eating a balanced diet, floss, fluoride toothpaste, gum disease, health problem, medical conditions, oral b, oral cancer, oral health, survey also found that, teeth and gums, tooth decay, toothbrush, ups