Silly travellers, check out India first: Purab KohliNovember 9th, 2011 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 9 (IANS) Cheap airfares, affordable stay arrangements and attractive packages have been drawing out Indian travellers overseas. But actor Purab Kohli, who features on a new travel show “Life Mein Ek Baar”, suggests that people must explore the diverse and fascinating landscapes of their own country first.
“I think if you are an Indian, and you haven’t seen India, it’s very silly. I have pretty much seen the whole country, and it is fascinating, to say the least!” Purab told IANS.
“Every state is startling in its own way and the experience of travelling through all of them is lovely because it’s like — there are many countries in our country. To experience that is unmatched,” added the model-turned-VJ-turned-actor, who went on a two-month adventure trip in India and abroad for the show.
Purab teamed up with three other boys, who were shortlisted from among almost 5,000 enthusiasts for the show.
The actor says travellers need to soak in the variety of breathtaking views, serenity, culture and heritage that the country has to offer - almost free.
“People need to open their eyes to what all India has. There are so many monuments, temples and public places of interest in India which they can just enter and admire for free! If they were to visit such places in America and Europe, they would perhaps have had to shell out 100 Euros or something,” added the actor, who feels the Meghalaya region is a treat for backpackers.
The first episode of “Life Mein Ek Baar” went on air on FOX Traveller Sunday.
The show is a departure from the usual travel shows as it documents the adventure trip of four friends, including Purab and three others. They went scuba diving and snorkeling, sky diving, white water rafting, bungee jumping, canyoning, wind surfing, snake boat racing and more during the trip, which also took them to Nepal and Thailand.
“This was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to experience so many adventure sports in different spots in one go. People usually plan one of these adventure sports once in two or three years, but for an adventure junkie like me… 60 days of trying every adventure available in the country was truly ‘life mein ek baar’!” said Purab, for whom travelling is a chance for “self-discovery”.
“When I took a leap for my bungee jump, it was an amazing feeling. I just felt the wind on my face, felt like I was flying like a bird, saw the river come closer to me… and that was it! I felt that even if I would have died at that moment, I would have died happily. These moments teach you how important it is to live in the moment,” he said.
For the show, Purab sports long locks that reminds one of his “Rock On!!” Killer Drummer look. But asked about it, he said: “It’s just a side of a happy hippie traveller me!”
- Can't wait for 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan': KJo (Movie Snippets) - Sep 12, 2012
- Abhay Deol's jitters in sky for 'Zindagi Na...' - Jun 22, 2011
- What's muzzling adventure sports in India? (Feature) - Nov 10, 2011
- Weekend tourists drive adventure tourism in India (Business Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Efron wants to be daredevil - Apr 19, 2012
- South Africa steps up efforts to woo Indian tourists - Feb 03, 2012
- Some TV contestants were really cheeky: Preity Zinta (Interview) - Mar 10, 2011
- India to attract more adventure tourists - May 27, 2011
- Blind daredevil to take on English Channel swim - May 01, 2012
- Where's bachelor party? On foreign shores, say desi boys (Feature) - Apr 25, 2012
- Brits taking up daredevil sports to escape recession - Sep 20, 2010
- Indian travellers go off beaten track, explore the uncharted - Jun 07, 2012
- Off the beaten track, Indian travellers explore the uncharted (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Communication gap with Nandita helped our chemistry in 'I AM': Purab - Apr 29, 2011
- Merchant Navy to scriptwriting - Bikram Sandhu explores new avenues - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: adventure sports, adventure trip, attractive packages, baar, backpackers, boat racing, breathtaking views, four friends, free people, indian travellers, lifetime chance, new travel, places of interest, places of interest in india, purab kohli, snake boat, travel show, travellers check, white water rafting, wind surfing