Shivani murder case sentencing likely on MondayMarch 23rd, 2008 - 8:31 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar.23 (ANI): An Additional Sessions Court here is likely to pronounce its sentence on suspended Inspector General of Police R K Sharma and three others on Monday.
Last week, the four were convicted in connection with the nine-year-old Shivani Bhatnagar murder case.
Sharma, a 1976-batch IPS officer, has been found guilty of conspiring with three others — Pradeep Sharma, Sri Bhagwan and Satya Prakash — to conspire to kill Indian Express journalist Bhatnagar on January 23, 1999.
Additional Sessions Judge Rajender Kumar Shastri had on March 18 pronounced them guilty under Section 302 (murder) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code.
These penal provisions call for either life imprisonment or death penalty.
The court which heard the arguments on quantum of sentence for the convicts on March 20 had reserved its order for Monday.
Even as special public prosecutor S K Saxena demanded death penalty for R K Sharma and Pradeep - guilty of killing the scribe - it sought life imprisonment for Sri Bhagwan and Satya Prakash, who it said were intermediaries to the commission of the crime.
Countering the prosecution’s demand for capital punishment for the suspended policeman, R K Sharma’s counsel S P Minocha contended before the court that the murder did not fall in the ‘rarest of rare’ category.
The counsel said that the reason of the victim being a media personality and the guilty a senior IPS officer did not justify death penalty for the convict. (ANI with inputs)
- Highlights of judgment on Shivani Bhatnagar murder - Oct 12, 2011
- Chronology of Shivani Bhatnagar murder case - Oct 12, 2011
- Verdict on appeal of Shivani murder case convicts Wednesday - Oct 11, 2011
- Shivani murder: R.K. Sharma's acquittal challenged in apex court (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Shivani murder: Court seeks police reply on parole plea (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Shivani Bhatnagar murder: Ex-cop R.K. Sharma walks free - Oct 12, 2011
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar murder case contested (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Lawyer questioned for criticising Shivani case judge (Lead) - Oct 24, 2011
- Shivani murder case: Convict's bail plea rejected - Mar 26, 2010
- Lifer in Shivani Bhatnagar murder granted interim bail - Oct 08, 2009
- Shivani murder case: R K Sharma's fate to be decided today - Mar 24, 2008
- Lajpat Nagar blast: Police seek death for three - Sep 21, 2011
- Sentencing in Shivani Bhatnagar murder on Monday - Mar 20, 2008
- Lajpat Nagar blast: High court reserves order on pleas - Oct 12, 2011
- Kachroo ragging death: Justice in suspended animation - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: bhagwan, convict, convicts, criminal conspiracy, death penalty, indian express, indian penal code, intermediaries, life imprisonment, media personality, murder case, penal provisions, public prosecutor, r k sharma, rare category, satya, saxena, scribe, sessions court, shastri