Shivan-Narresh to showcase swimwear at Miami (With images)June 12th, 2011 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) Desinger duo Shivan-Narresh are taking their new collection Mosaic to the Swimwear Association of Florida (SAF) show in Miami, making them possibly the first Indians to participate in the event, which begins July 16.
“In 2010, the Swimwear Association of Florida, after having heard about us from Lakme Fashion Week (LFW) Summer Resort 2010, approached us to participate in the swim show at Miami. However, we wanted to establish ourselves domestically before we move towards the international market. So this year we have decided to take up the opportunity,” Narresh Kukreja told IANS on the phone from Mumbai, where the duo is based.
The four-day SAF Swim Show will be held at the Miami Beach Convention Center where the designer duo will introduce their new Spring Summer 2012 collection Mosaic to the US buyers.
“We have divided the collection into two parts. The first is the pret line and second is the exclusive hand-crafted line.
“The second line is unique because of the skillfull handicrafting which is executed by our specially trained workmen. We are launching this lighter, stitch-free surfaced collection in the US as the American swimwear market is mature and would understand the nuances of this collection,” said Narresh.
“The pret line has an Indian colour palette - ochre, maroon, red, sky blue and white while the hand-crafted line is in pink, cream, khaki and black. The collection is made using hundred percent Italian jersey,” he added.
The designers have also used a technologically advanced fabric that will make the swimsuit resistant to sand and ultraviolent Rays.
“We will also be presenting the first-ever line handcrafted in India, which is made using technologically advanced fabric that makes the swimsuit resistant to sand, pilling and curling, protects from UV rays and has enhanced breathablity. It is also our thinnest swimwear line which will cling to you like a second skin,” he added.
The designer duo, who launched their label Shivan & Narresh in November 2008 at Mare Di Moda, Cannes, forayed in Indian market through LFW Summer Resort in 2010.
They feel establishing their brand in the international market is much easier than in India as the domestic market for swimwear is still at a nascent stage.
“The international swimwear market is mature, hence making the consumer aware and educated about swimsuit shopping is easy. This is lacking in the domestic market, where we have to educate the consumer as well as the retailer on how to buy or sell a swimsuit.
“Also, the presence of brands in the international market makes it competitive, while in India, we are the only swimwear brand. The domestic market is modest in its approach to swimwear while the international market is bolder. The domestic market sees swimwear as an aspirational lifestyle product while for the west, its an established category,” Narresh said.
Apart from the SAF swim show, Shivan-Narresh are also looking forward to participating in the Lakme Fashion Week Winter-Festive 2011 which is scheduled August 16-21 at Mumbai’s Grand Hyatt.
- UV-resistant swim suits from Shivan-Narresh at LFW - Mar 02, 2012
- Time to unveil our own Victoria's Secret: Indian designers - Dec 08, 2011
- Global attention, not business in focus at IRFW (Review) - Dec 11, 2011
- Indian women are bad lingerie, swimwear shoppers: Designer - Mar 09, 2010
- Accessorise or try a bikini sari when on holiday (With Images) - Apr 11, 2012
- 86 designers to showcase at LFW Winter fest - Jul 11, 2012
- Shivan & Naresh, Swapnil Shinde use lasers in LFW show - Aug 07, 2012
- Kareena helped in brand building: Pankaj-Nidhi - Aug 08, 2012
- LFW Winter/Festive 2011 all about business (Curtain raiser) - Aug 15, 2011
- Beaches, babes, bikinis..here's India Resort Fashion Week (Curtain raiser) - Dec 06, 2011
- Lakme Fashion Week boasts of Japanese designers, digital outreach (Preview) - Mar 10, 2011
- A debut after 40 years and book in making, Pallavi Jaikishan on a roll - Jul 21, 2012
- Japanese designers to showcase at Lakme Fashion Week - Feb 22, 2011
- LFW generates business, designers get bags full of orders (Review) - Mar 16, 2011
- Dozakh to debut at Lakme Fashion Week - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: colour palette, curling, fashion week, miami beach convention, miami beach convention center, mosaic, mumbai, New Delhi, new spring, nuances, pink cream, red sky, saf, second skin, spring summer, swimsuit, swimwear, ultraviolent rays, uv rays, workmen