Shillong ready to host its first fashion show (With Images)September 12th, 2012 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) Meghalaya is the new fashion destination. The first edition of Shillong Fashion Week (SFW) has got the green signal and it will see talent from the North-East region showcasing creations with tribal influence.
As many as 16 designers will showcase their collection at the two-day fashion gala schedule to take place at the North Eastern Hills University (NEHU) convention centre from Oct 19.
Out of 16 designers, six are from Meghalaya, two from Manipur, one from Mizoram and one from Arunchal Pradesh have been confirmed till date. Rest of the six finalised yet.
“For this season, day one is dedicated to the tribes, so one of the basic criterion that is needed to be the part of this fashion week is have to have some kind of tribal origin and technical background. We thought let’s push designers from our region as they have never got such kind of backbone,” Julie Deb, marketing director told IANS on the sidelines of announcing the event.
“The participating designers are very excited to be the part of this event. Also, we have dedicated the the first edition as the Year of Youth so all the participating designers are not only young, but also very innovative,” she added.
The fashion week is initiated by the state of Meghalaya under the leadership of the Mukul Sangma, chief minister of the state.
According to Nathaniel Weller Rynjah, creative director of SFW, the aim to organise the fashion week is to promote Shillong as the next fashion hub of the northeast.
“Shillong is one of the main education spots for northeast, hence the state is basically the hub of youth. So why not make it a next fashion hub. With Shillong being considered very fashionable city, we also realised that there is so much potential within the city and this is the reason why we wanted to promote it,” said Rynjah.
Established designers Anand Bhushan, Guaurav and Ritika, Dev r Nil and Nachiket Barve will also participate in it.
- 63 designers finalised for WIFW spring/summer edition - Sep 14, 2012
- LFW Winter/Festive 2011 all about business (Curtain raiser) - Aug 15, 2011
- A potpourri of business for designers at LFW (Review) - Aug 22, 2011
- Nachiket Barve brings the 'Golden Hour' to LFW ramp - Aug 19, 2011
- West on backburner: Designers endorse Indian heritage - Feb 22, 2012
- Amitabh Bachchan creates frenzy on LFW day three - Sep 19, 2010
- Designers on a high, clinched good business at LFW (Review) - Sep 22, 2010
- Festive wear to dominate LFW runway (Preview) - Sep 16, 2010
- India-Pakistan semifinal: Fashion week's Wednesday shows cancelled - Mar 28, 2011
- 'Magical threads' fashion show highlights handlooms and handicrafts of Shillong - Jul 30, 2010
- Style, business, charity at Karachi fashion week (Curtain Raiser) - Nov 08, 2010
- Designers support Anna Hazare's cause - Aug 19, 2011
- Spring at LFW: Buyers, designers welcome seasonal shift - Mar 10, 2010
- Exploring northeast's rich heritage, through fashion (With Images) - Aug 08, 2011
- Bollywood celebs don't detract from creations: Fashion designers - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: barve, bhushan, chief minister, creative director, fashion hub, fashion show, fashion week, finalised, manipur, mizoram, mukul, nehu, new fashion, next fashion, ritika, sfw, shillong, state of meghalaya, technical background, tribal origin