‘Sheila Ki Jawani’ finds its way to the rampApril 9th, 2011 - 1:02 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 8 (IANS) Designer James Ferreira’s line at the ongoing Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW) was inspired by Aesop’s fable “The Hare and The Tortoise,” and while the audience was wowed by it, the surprise of the show was an impromptu jig by the designer on “Sheila Ki Jawani” in a hot-pant and a T-shirt with a long overcoat.
The Mumbai-based designer was showcasing at the WIFW for the first time.
While the business-to-business event is extremely focused on serious work, the popular item-number from the film “Tees Mar Khan” electrified the environment as it started playing in the background when the designer came to take his bow.
First, the models started the jig and soon Ferreira joined them and the entire spectacle was well received by the audience who cheered and applauded.
The show was different right from the word go.
Three models came together on the ramp while in the background the “The Hare and The Tortoise” story was being played. Suddenly two models started talking in the middle of the ramp, while the third model walked till the front - enacting the story and giving and message “slow and steady wins the race.”
Ferreira picked up on tortoise because he wanted to give the audience the message that tortoise too is an endangered species even while the whole world is talking about tiger, an organiser said.
The well-structured garments and signature drapes of Ferreira were put together with pleating and tucking in the hues of moss green, golden yellow, teal blue and burnt sienna in fabrics like Italian silk, heavy wool in A-line shapes. Hence the line had dresses, long overcoats and shrugs paired with pink stockings.
“While designing my clothes, I think about the comfort level. While I design dresses, I think about a sari, so I drape my garments the way a sari is draped,” Ferreira said.
- Straight from Africa, stale jungle safari at WIFW - Apr 09, 2011
- Sari gets makeover, new look lures Hollywood - Sep 28, 2011
- GOW actress Huma puts her best foot forward at LFW - Aug 07, 2012
- Ode to McQueen, 'Folkistan' and more at Pakistan fashion week - Nov 13, 2010
- Meera-Muzzafar Ali introduce short dresses on the ramp - Jul 23, 2011
- Young designers shine at Pakistan fashion week - Mar 30, 2011
- Designer gives sari the Dutch touch (With Image) - Aug 16, 2012
- Draping a sari tough for me: Bipasha - Feb 19, 2012
- Nachiket Barve brings the 'Golden Hour' to LFW ramp - Aug 19, 2011
- Rohit Gandhi,Rahul Khanna create 'Theatre of Illusion' at WIFW - Oct 13, 2011
- LFW: Siddharth Mallya in tuxedo, Amy Jackson in sari - Aug 04, 2012
- Shantanu-Nikhil to open WIFW 2012 - Jan 31, 2012
- Pakistan designer styles Kashmiri embroidery for bridal wear (With Images) - Dec 21, 2011
- Saris In Linen And Georgette To Be Showcased Soon! - Nov 29, 2010
- Manish Malhotra brings curtains down on LFW in style - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: aesop, business event, design dresses, ferreira, hare and the tortoise, hot pant, hues, india fashion week, italian silk, jawani, jig, long overcoat, overcoats, s line, sari, shrugs, slow and steady wins the race, steady wins, tortoise, wills lifestyle india fashion week