Shanghai named China’s sexiest citySeptember 20th, 2010 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 20 (IANS) Shanghai has topped a poll of the sexiest cities in China because of its “strong economy, iconic buildings, landscape and cultural diversity”.
Shanghai is closely followed by Hong Kong because “it has many celebrities” and Chongqing because of its “beautiful women”, a survey conducted by the Horizon Research Consultancy Group has shown.
Over 17 percent of 6,577 people from 30 cities in China named Shanghai as the sexiest city. Hong Kong came second with 8.4 percent and Chongqing came third with 4.7 percent.
Beijing and Guangzhou, which both got 4.6 percent, came fourth, China Daily reported.
People gave a wide range of reasons for naming Shanghai as the sexiest city, including its strong economy, buildings and landscape, hosting of the World Expo and cultural diversity.
Over 65 percent of respondents who named Chongqing listed beautiful women as their reason, while only 5.3 percent of those who supported Shanghai gave the same reason.
However, though the survey aimed for a wider definition of “sexiness”, many people were confused over the concept.
Gu Xiaoming, a professor with Shanghai-based Fudan University, said “sexy” is an outdated criterion in an age when harmony and livability is most valued.
The concept of a sexy city can be misleading in terms of focusing too much on prosperity and a lifestyle fashioned on foreign culture, hence undervaluing a peaceful life and ignoring indigenous culture, Gu said.
About 33 percent of respondents said they “cannot tell” which city is sexy, according to the report.
- Finnair starts service to western China city of Chongqing - May 17, 2012
- Ten most attractive Chinese cities for foreigners - May 03, 2012
- Work at hospital, get free cosmetic surgery in China - Jun 17, 2011
- Hong Kong tops Chinese competitive city list - May 21, 2012
- SriLankan to fly daily to Beijing, Shanghai - Jul 08, 2012
- Melbourne world's most liveable city; Mumbai fares poorly - Aug 30, 2011
- Toxic fumes kill six in China tunnel - Dec 10, 2011
- Beijing, Shanghai costly cities for expats - Jul 16, 2011
- Hong Kong returns pregnant woman to Beijing - May 04, 2012
- Canadian PM heads to China - Feb 07, 2012
- Man held for airing porn clip on live TV - Jul 20, 2012
- Shanghai is China's most popular city - Aug 31, 2010
- Bo Xilai's wife 'confessed' to killing British businessman - Aug 07, 2012
- Home prices down in China - Apr 18, 2012
- China's super-rich to get richer - May 08, 2012
Tags: beautiful women, beijing, china daily, chongqing, cities in china, criterion, cultural diversity, guangzhou, harmony, horizon, indigenous culture, livability, peaceful life, prosperity, research consultancy, respondents, sexiest, sexy city, shanghai, world expo