Shabana NGO’s women create Anita Dongre’s LFW collectionAugust 18th, 2011 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 18 (IANS) Designer Anita Dongre showcased an exquisite collection at the ongoing Lakme Fashion Week (LFW) Winter/Festive 2011 Thursday that featured embroidery by the women of NGO Mijwan run by actress Shabana Azmi.
Model-turned actress Lisa Haydon walked the ramp for the collection.
“This is a festive collection on Rajasthani design, which has been embroidered by the rural craftswoman of Mijwan society,” Dongre told reporters after the show.
The Mijwan Welfare Society was founded by Shabana’s father and renowned poet, the late Kaifi Azmi, in his home district of Azamgarh (Uttar Pradesh) in 1993.
The festive ethnic wear on display included sarees, lehngas, jackets and elegant salwar kameez suits. Soaked in dyed colours of distinctive Rajasthani fabrics, the garments were complemented with skillfully handwoven brocades from Varanasi, specially the Ikats and velvets.
The delicate gold thread work and the intricate gota patti work were fused with traditional and metallic patterns, which sets the right sparkles for festive season.
Anita also showcased some ravishing evening gowns with more sensuous, classy and truly timeless silhouettes.
“Be it lehenga or the evening gown, the whole look and feel of the collection is extremely feminine and chic, designed for modern Indian woman, who has a global outlook but an Indian perspective,” she said.
- Preeti Desai dazzles in white lehenga choli for Anita Dongre - Aug 06, 2012
- Bollywood Hot-shots To Walk For Mijwan Girl-Child – A Project Taken By Shabana Azmi - Jan 13, 2011
- Hema, Esha add glamour at Lakme Fashion Week - Aug 19, 2011
- Prachi shines at Neeta Lulla's show - Aug 20, 2011
- Ranbir to walk ramp for social cause - Jan 19, 2011
- Shabana Azmi cheers for Anita Dongre at WIFW - Oct 12, 2011
- 'Paparazzi' with Umrao Jaan, Lady Gaga at Lakme Fashion Week - Aug 17, 2011
- Shabana is Action Aid India chairperson - Oct 04, 2011
- 86 designers to showcase at LFW Winter fest - Jul 11, 2012
- Manish Malhotra brings curtains down on LFW in style - Aug 22, 2011
- Dresses inspired by red carpet glamour in LFW (With Image) - Aug 09, 2011
- Shyamal-Bhumika recreate royalty on LFW ramp - Aug 06, 2012
- Festive wear to dominate LFW runway (Preview) - Sep 16, 2010
- Go for cotton this wedding season, says Anita Dongre - May 09, 2012
- Standing ovation for Kallol, Pankaj and Nidhi at LFW finale - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: anita dongre, brocades, delicate gold, ethnic wear, evening gowns, exquisite collection, festive collection, global outlook, gold thread work, ikats, indian perspective, kaifi azmi, lakme fashion week, lehenga, lfw, lisa haydon, renowned poet, salwar kameez, shabana azmi, welfare society