Several Brit adults prefer life without InternetJune 11th, 2009 - 3:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 11 (ANI): A large number of Brit adults prefer not having an Internet connection at home, according to a research.
The research has revealed that over 40 per cent of adults, who do not have access to the Internet at home, have said that they would choose to remain unconnected when offered free internet access.
The findings come in line with the Government’s Digital Britain report, to be published soon, which will develop the idea of universal broadband in the UK.
Ofcom’s survey found that 20 per cent of adults, who do not have the Internet, are planning to get it in the next six months, reports the Scotsman.
Figures reveal that 70 per cent of UK adults currently have the internet at home, and the new research was aimed at finding why the rest of 30 percent are not connected.
The researchers observed that people, who were thinking of getting the Internet in the next six months, were more likely to be younger, to use it outside of the home, to be working and to have children.
Their main reason for accessing the Internet is for information (36 per cent), followed by communicating with friends and family (26 per cent), keeping up with technology (25 per cent), and because friends and family recommended it (25 per cent).
However, 42 per cent of adults claimed that their main reason for not having the Internet at home was lack of interest or need.
The research found that such individuals tend to be older and retired and 61 per cent have never used a computer. (ANI)
Tags: communicating with friends, digital britain, free internet access, friends and family, internet connection, internet london, lack of interest, ofcom, six months, survey found that, uk adults, universal broadband