Seaweed shake- an effective way to cut your flab!April 22nd, 2011 - 6:49 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 22 (ANI): Finding a healthy way to lose weight? Try a seaweed shake.
Scientists have found that adding the seaweed extract alginate to a chocolate milkshake suppresses hunger pangs.
Men and women who drank the alginate-based drink for breakfast felt almost a third less hungry by lunchtime than those who had a normal milkshake.
The finding paves the way for a range of foods that keep us feeling fuller for longer and make it easier to resist snacks between meals.
“Many different diets and diet programmes can be effective in reducing weight,” the Daily Mail quoted researcher Harry Peters as saying.
“However, many subjects fail to adhere to these diets and the reduction in weight is therefore not achieved or maintained.
“Delaying the return of hunger after consumption can potentially increase consumer satisfaction with weight control programmes and reduced-energy food products and encourage long-term compliance with a reduced-energy diet,” added Peters.
The alginate did nothing to alter the flavour of the shake, with the participants saying it was just as pleasant as the real thing.
The form of alginate used turns into a gel in the acidic environment of the stomach, and the calcium adds to the gel’s thickness.
This creates a feeling of fullness, as well as holding food in the stomach for longer.
The study has been published in the journal Obesity. (ANI)
- Seaweed shake keeps you slim by suppressing hunger - Apr 22, 2011
- In the works: A food additive to quell hunger - Aug 22, 2012
- Know your diet personality type to cut your flab - Apr 18, 2011
- Seaweed could be a powerful new weapon against obesity - Jul 20, 2010
- Seaweed bread could help fight obesity: study - Mar 23, 2010
- Food for thought - before that Karva Chauth fast - Oct 13, 2011
- Take big bites to lose weight - Apr 17, 2010
- Two cups of water can help you fight the bulge - Aug 24, 2010
- Back to square one after dieting? Blame your hormones - Oct 30, 2011
- An egg a day keeps unwanted calories at bay - Dec 11, 2011
- Drinking water before meals is the best way to lose weight - Aug 24, 2010
- Eat wheat flour and almonds to 'satisfy hunger pains' - Apr 24, 2011
- Properly chewing food 'not always best for your health' - Apr 15, 2010
- Dessert with breakfast can benefit dieters - Jun 26, 2012
- Healthy Snacks, Weight Loss Can Surely Work Jointly - Oct 15, 2010
Tags: acidic environment, calcium, chocolate milkshake, consumer satisfaction, consumption, daily mail, diets, energy diet, energy food, flab, flavour, food products, healthy way to lose weight, hunger pangs, lunchtime, obesity, researcher, seaweed, snacks, stomach