School faces ire for teaching pole dancing to kidsMay 20th, 2011 - 10:11 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 20 (IANS) A dance school in Britain has stoked a public debate and invited criticism for offering lessons in pole dancing to children as young as 12.
The lessons are being run by the Art of Dance pole dance and burlesque school, which claims they are aimed at making people fitter and stronger as well as boosting self-confidence, the Daily Mail reported.
The training requires each child to be accompanied by an adult for at least their first session. They are asked to wear a T-shirt and tracksuit bottoms with shorts underneath for parts of the class that need skin contact.
However, the classes, launched Thursday in Plymouth city in Britain’s Devon county, evoked sharp criticism.
Stating the lessons need to be treated with a “great deal of caution”, Gary Streeter, Conservative MP for South West Devon, said: “We have a real problem in our country with the increasing sexualisation of children through the media, advertising, branding of products and this kind of thing would be a step in the wrong direction.”
He said that it was right to help children to be fit and healthy but any exercise would have to be carefully monitored. “So that they weren’t overtly sexual,” he said. “We do not want 12-year-olds parading as if in some kind of strip club.”
Sam Remmer, founder of the company, and who runs the classes, has defended them saying there is a big difference between fitness pole dancing and exotic dancing.
- Scotland club's pole-dancing lessons for girls aged 6 upset parents - Jul 23, 2010
- Couple Find Medieval Shaft beneath Sofa - Aug 30, 2012
- Meet the 2-yr-old boy who is world's youngest pole dancer - Jan 22, 2011
- British shops to be stopped from selling provocative items - Dec 05, 2010
- Fury over Brit sex club owner teaching her 7-yr-old daughter to pole dance - Jun 15, 2010
- Computer games making Brit kids fall asleep in school - Mar 09, 2011
- 'Pamper parties' sexualizing gs as young as 3 in UK! - Feb 26, 2011
- UK school stages marriage of boy, 6, girl, 5, to help pupils write better - Nov 26, 2010
- US university lecturer suspended over class featuring lap-dancing strippers - Apr 13, 2011
- Facebook to host live science lesson - Jul 24, 2012
- No bikini beautiful on billboards in Britain any more - Oct 11, 2011
- Brit mum teaching 7-yr-old daughter to pole dance calls critics hypocrites - Jun 16, 2010
- Sexual content has become an 'inescapable' part of kids' lives, says expert - Mar 17, 2010
- Brit primary school teacher accidentally shows porn to pupils - Dec 10, 2010
- Brit school in row over pole-dancing demonstration - Jan 30, 2009
Tags: 12 year olds, art of dance, boosting self confidence, caution, conservative mp, daily mail, dance school, devon county, exotic dancing, gary streeter, media advertising, plymouth city, pole dance, public debate, remmer, south west devon, strip club, t shirt, tracksuit bottoms, wrong direction