Saudi woman confronts police over painted nailsMay 26th, 2012 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 26 (IANS) A video of a Saudi woman confronting the religious police over breaking modesty rules with her painted nails has gone viral after she posted it on the YouTube, Daily Mail reported Saturday.
The woman, who has not been identified, refuses their demands that she leave the mall where she is shopping and tells them that her nails are “none of (their) business”.
She filmed her confrontation with the members of the Commission for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice (CPVPV) on her mobile phone and posted it on YouTube.
It has ignited a debate in Saudi Arabia over the way that members of the commission should deal with people in public places.
The video shows several men in traditional Saudi dress, who have apparently stopped the woman to chastise her for the immodesty of her freshly manicured nails.
One of the men orders the woman to leave the mall, but she refuses and the pair become embroiled in a heated argument in the middle of the mall’s concourse.
“The government didn’t send you to follow me,” she yells at them. “The government said there would be no persecution (of women). Your job is to advise people and move on. You have no right to harass anyone.”
A probe has been opened into the incident, the Gazette reported.
- Black woman held in Britain for racist rant - Aug 22, 2012
- US judge refuses to order YouTube to take down anti-Muslim video - Sep 21, 2012
- Video of 'Blonde on an escalator' goes viral - Nov 17, 2011
- Anti-Muslim video can stay on YouTube: US judge (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Woman takes photo of herself each day for 5 1/2 years - Jun 13, 2012
- Saudi woman held for defying driving ban - May 22, 2011
- Racy spoof video of Spears' 'Hold It Against Me' is big hit on YouTube - Feb 03, 2011
- At 9.7 cm, this woman has world's longest tongue - Nov 02, 2011
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Royal wedding will be streamed live on YouTube - Apr 20, 2011
- Rebecca Black feels cyberbullied from 'Friday' YouTube video backlash - Mar 19, 2011
- Dhanush regales Kolkata on Christmas - Dec 25, 2011
- Pakistan blocks over 700 anti-Islam YouTube links - Sep 17, 2012
- YouTube Unveils Face Blurring System - Jul 19, 2012
- Bieber, Gaga become copyright victim - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: confrontation, cpvpv, daily mail, immodesty, job, london, manicured nails, mobile phone, modesty, persecution, prevention, religious police, saudi arabia, saudi woman, shopping, virtue and prevention of vice