Sarabjit should be released, says 1990 bomb attack victim’s familyMarch 20th, 2008 - 1:21 pm ICT by admin
Lahore, Mar 20 (ANI): The family of Bilal Mustafa, one of the victims of the May, 18, 1990 bomb blast at the Malik Theatre Cinema at Bhaati Gate, believes Sarabjit Singh, the Indian detenu, should be released.
Sarabjit has spent some years in jail. I think he should be released, but only if India agrees to release at least the same number of Pakistani prisoners in Indian jails as the number of 1990 blast victims. It will help many families in our country, said Abdul Rehman Nasir, Bilals elder brother.
Sarabjit was sentenced to death in 1991 for spying and carrying out four bomb blasts that killed 14 people.
If Singh were hanged, his (Singh’s) family would have to go through the same trauma his family had gone through 18 years ago, The Daily Times quoted Nasir as saying.
Recalling those days, Nasir said the family was shocked when they came to know about Bilal lying in a pool of blood.
Nasir, who runs a rent-a-car business at Bhaati Gate, said Bilal was just
15 when he was killed.
Bilal was on his way to buy some groceries when the bomb exploded, killing him along with 13 other people, he said.
Nasir, who lives with his mother and wife, said, “My brother cannot come back, so what is the use of hanging Sarabjit.
On Wednesday, the sentence of Sarabjit was delayed till April 30.
Sarabjit, the Indian convicted of spying in Pakistan was to be hanged on April 1 following President Musharraf’s rejection of his mercy plea, a senior prison officer in Lahore said on Sunday. (ANI)
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit's release - Jun 29, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: 18 years, april 1, bomb attack, bomb blast, bomb blasts, car business, elder brother, groceries, jails, lahore, mother and wife, plea, pool of blood, president musharraf, prison officer, prisoners, rehman, rejection, theatre cinema, trauma