Salman brings alive Bollywood’s bygone era at couture weekOctober 10th, 2010 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
By Shilpa Raina
Mumbai, Oct 10 (IANS) From the silent era of the 1920s to the elegance of the 1940s to the sex symbols of 1970s - Bollywood divas like Preity Zinta, Rani Mukerji and Sushmita Sen brought the film industry’s glorious past alive on the ramp at Salman Khan’s “Being Human” show at HDIL-India Couture Week, which witnessed electrifying energy, houseful attendance and an enthusiastic audience.
The theme of the show was to define each era of the Hindi film industry, hence the presentation of the show was very different and innovative. Before the actresses sashayed down the ramp Saturday night, a short audio-visual was screened on the particular period and dances were performed to highlight the entertainment aspect of that time.
For instance, the 1930s were defined by tap dance and the 1940s by qawallis.
The first to hit the runway was Priety Zinta, know for her dimpled smile and western look. Dressed in a red knee-length dress, she represented 1920s and with her elegance and glamour quotient, she did full justice.
She was followed by Katrina Kaif. Dressed in a long red gown, she depicted the 1930s, known for “Fearless” Nadia for her stunts and other gyrations in films like “Hunterwali”.
Then, Rani Mukherji walked the ramp in a black velvet choli and white lehenga, bringing alive the elegance of the 1940s.
To recreate the flirtatious 1950s, Bipasha Basu walked the ramp in a short black outfit looking her sexier best.
The swinging 1960s was dominated by Shammi Kapoor and the rock and roll culture and who better than his grand niece Karisma Kapoor could do justice to it! Draped in a red sari, the actress, who has taken a break from work, oozed the same glamour and poise that was seen in the screen beauties of that period.
But the most thunderous applause was reserved for Sushmita Sen, who depicted the flamboyance and freedom of women in 1970s when she came dressed in multi-coloured kaftan top and golden mini skirt. The crowed roared, cheered and applauded and when she hit the stage she acknowledged their love with a “Thank You”.
After this it was Priyanka Chopra’s turn to wow the audience. Dressed in a white baby-doll dress, she represented the silver screen’s glam girls of the 1980s.
After that, Karisma’s sister Kareena Kapoor, in a smart and sexy black power suit, walked the ramp depicting the women of 1990s who are breaking the glass ceiling in a mans world.
And, no pints for guessing who stole the show: Definitely Salman Khan, who wore red trousers and a black trench coat with glares and walked the ramp with a smile. The crowd just went ballistic.
Most of the dresses were designed by Manish Malhotra and Arjun Khanna, among others. In all, Salman should be credited for putting an awesome show that boasted of great drama. But, where was the couture in it?
- Bollywood actresses walk on ramp to collect funds for Salman's charity - Oct 10, 2010
- Salman Khan Walked The Ramp For 'Being Human' NGO Along With 80 Bollywood Ladies - Oct 12, 2010
- Sonam Kapoor dazzles at Manish Malhotra's show - Jul 25, 2011
- Katrina, Priyanka to heat up Salman's 'Being Human' show - Oct 08, 2010
- Manish Malhotra to open Delhi Couture week - Jul 12, 2012
- Shraddha Kapoor steals show for Anju Modi - Jul 24, 2011
- 'Paparazzi' with Umrao Jaan, Lady Gaga at Lakme Fashion Week - Aug 17, 2011
- Jacqueline dislikes Bollywood celebs on the ramp - Jul 26, 2011
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Bollywood dominates couture week, but designs too got noticed (Review) - Oct 11, 2010
- Madhuri Dixit turns 'devi' for Anju Modi - Aug 11, 2012
- Manish Malhotra brings curtains down on LFW in style - Aug 22, 2011
- Indian designs, Bollywood dominate RFW opening day - May 25, 2012
- Big B, Hrithik electrify but SRK steals the show - Oct 08, 2010
- Dia, Sameera cheer for Shantanu-Nikhil - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: bipasha basu, choli, dimpled smile, entertainment aspect, enthusiastic audience, glamour quotient, grand niece, hindi film industry, karisma kapoor, katrina kaif, lehenga, mini skirt, priety zinta, rani mukerji, red gown, sex symbols, shammi kapoor, sushmita sen, tap dance, thunderous applause