Russian wing-suit jumper sets new world recordJune 6th, 2012 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 6 (IANS) Valery Rozov, a 47-year-old climber and base jumper from Russia, has set a new world record by performing a wing-suit jump from the 6,543-metre-high Shivling mountain in the Garhwal Himalayas of India.
Rozov and his climbing partners, Alexander Ruchkin and Victor Volodin, reached the summit of Shivling May 25 after a six-day climb, RIA Novosti reported Wednesday citing the website of Red Bull energy drink, sponsors of the event.
He took off in his wing-suit from a height of 6,420 metres and just 90 seconds later, after having hit a speed of 200 km per hour through the air, the Russian landed 2,200 metres further down on the glacier.
The other expedition members took three whole days to complete the descent.
Base jumping and wing-suit flying is an extreme sport that involves jumping from objects such as bridges, buildings and towers.
The Russian jumper has previously performed other breathtaking feats, such as flying into an active volcano in Kamchatka in Russia, and jumping from the Ulvetanna peak in the Antarctic.
“This was my first project in the Himalayas,” the two-time skydiving world champion said after his record-breaking flight.
“We had a few difficulties along the way, so I am really pleased that we were able to complete the jump successfully,” said Rozov.
By reaching the summit, the three climbers also became the first Russians to successfully climb the Shivling mountain, renowned for its difficult and dangerous passages. The peak was conquered for the first time in 1974.
- Putin peak summitted for first time - Sep 14, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee gets towering gifts - from the Himalayas - May 21, 2011
- Indian conquers the Andes in Latin America (With Image) - Mar 27, 2012
- 'Super Sherpa' hangs up Everest boots after 21st summit - May 27, 2011
- 9-yr-old Nepalese boy may be the youngest Everest climber - Nov 08, 2010
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
- Delhi teen sets out to be king of Himalayas - Jul 25, 2011
- First woman from India's northeast conquers Everest - May 11, 2011
- President flags-in Indian Army's Everest team - Jul 03, 2012
- Italian mountain climber falls to death in Swiss Alps - Aug 22, 2011
- India's youngest Everest hero sets himself loftier targets - Apr 06, 2011
- Andhra climber summits Africa's highest mountain - Nov 12, 2010
- Airforce mountaineers set off on Mission Tricolour - Aug 06, 2010
- 19 times Everest summiter missing after avalanche in Nepal - Oct 25, 2010
- Nepal quake fails to jolt India's youngest Everest hero - Sep 21, 2011
Tags: base jumper, base jumping, breathtaking feats, climbing partners, expedition members, extreme sport, garhwal himalayas, glacier, kamchatka, new world record, passages, reaching the summit, red bull energy, red bull energy drink, ria novosti, russians, three climbers, valery, wing suit, world champion