Rushdie to address lit fest after all(Lead)January 24th, 2012 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Jan 24 (IANS) Controversial author Salman Rushdie is all set to address the Jaipur Literature Festival via videolink Tuesday afternoon, with festival organiser Sanjoy Roy saying the issue had been resolved.
Roy said some clarifications had been sought by the authorities and these had been responded to. He was happy that the issue has been resolved.
Rushdie, who had called off his visit to Jaipur citing threats to his life from “paid assassins”, is expected to address the event on its last day via videoconferencing - in a session to be moderated by journalist Barkha Dutt.
Rushdie, the Mumbai-born author of the banned “The Satanic Verses”, had accused Rajasthan Police of hatching a plot about hitmen to keep him away from the festival where he was expected to be the star attraction. Some Muslim groups had also protested his proposed visit.
Until early Tuesday, there was speculation about whether he would have to call off his video address too.
While clarifying that Rushdie would be speaking, Roy said: “There should be a review of the laws that ban books. We are a progressive society. There should be a debate and a review of the issue.”
When asked whether he was anticipating protests against Rushdie’s address, Roy said: “People have a right to protest peacefully as long as it is within law.”
- Rushdie to address lit fest via videolink - Jan 24, 2012
- Rushdie may speak at Jaipur fest - via video - Jan 23, 2012
- 'Black farce' says Rushdie as shut out of Jaipur even via videolink (Intro Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Fresh shadow on Rushdie's address after protests (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Rushdie shut out of Jaipur, even via videolink (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- Muslim groups stifled free speech: Rushdie - Jan 24, 2012
- Complaints against four authors for 'The Satanic Verses' reading - Jan 23, 2012
- Rushdie likely to address Jaipur fest via video (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Suspense continues over Rushdie's Jaipur visit (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Uncertainty looms over Rushdie's video address (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Rushdie episode worst communal vote bank politics: BJP (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Rushdie's address called off amid security threat (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Rushdie should have been allowed to come: Jaitley (Lead, changing dateline) - Jan 24, 2012
- Rushdie show: Chronicle of a gag foretold - Jan 25, 2012
- Rushdie visit cancellation sparks outrage on social media - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,