Rushdie likely in India this weekend for India Today conclaveMarch 13th, 2012 - 8:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) After his aborted visit to the Jaipur Literature Festival, controversial Booker Prize winning author Salman Rushdie is expected to be in India this weekend to attend the India Today conclave March 16.
The writer will address a forum, “The Liberty Verses: I am What I am and That’s All That I am” which will be moderated by author Aatish Taseer, son of slain Pakistani politician Salman Taseer.
A source in the India Today group said “Rushdie will be at the conclave”. “He would not have been on the programme list if he had not been coming,” the source from the India Today group told IANS.
The visit is significant in the light of the storm raised by the cancellation of his visit to the DSC Jaipur Literature festival in January following an outcry by some Muslim groups over his 1988 book “The Satanic Verses”, which is banned in India.
The writer who was supposed to visit the country Jan 20 for the festival called off his visit following alleged threats. He also had to desisit from addressing the featival via vedio on the concluding day of the festival.
A member of the Jaipur Literature Festival committee said he had come to know of Rushdie’s “proposed visit from the media”.
A spate of messages on twitter by fans said “Rushdie was expected to be in India this weekend and there seemed to be no controversy about it”. “UP elections over, hence no tamasha now,” a tweet by a fan said.
- Tight security for Rushdie's arrival - Mar 16, 2012
- Rushdie session postponed (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Salman Rushdie for Jaipur Lit Fest Jan 20-22 (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Salman Rushdie to attend Jaipur Lit Fest Jan 20-22 - Jan 03, 2012
- Rushdie slams Imran Khan at India Today conclave - Mar 18, 2012
- Pranab, Omar drop out, but Rushdie to attend India Today conclave (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Salman Rushdie's name off Jaipur Festival's events roster - Jan 17, 2012
- Now Pranab, Omar drop out of conclave - Mar 17, 2012
- Muslims in India are being misled: Salman Rushdie (Lead) - Mar 18, 2012
- Writers resent muzzle on Salman Rushdie - Jan 21, 2012
- Muslim groups stifled free speech: Rushdie - Jan 24, 2012
- Rushdie is poor, sub-standard writer: Katju - Jan 25, 2012
- Rushdie's Jaipur visit under cloud (Second Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Suspense continues over Rushdie's Jaipur visit (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Rushdie to speak via video on 'Midnight's Children' (Second Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: author salman rushdie, booker prize, cancellation, country jan, dsc, festival committee, india today conclave, literature festival, muslim groups, New Delhi, outcry, politician, salman rushdie, salman taseer, satanic verses, spate, tamasha, tweet, twitter, vedio