Roerich Trust ex-official summoned in visa caseFebruary 27th, 2012 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 27 (IANS) A foreign national associated with Russian painter and philosopher Nicholas Roerich’s multi-crore estate near Kullu town in Himachal Pradesh has been summoned to answer charges of violating visa rules, a police official said Monday.
Alena Adamkova, associated with the International Roerich Memorial Trust (IRMT) for almost a decade and curator-cum-executive director of the Roerich Museum, is in India on an employment visa.
“This (Monday) evening a notice was served on her to appear in FRO (foreigner registration office) Tuesday morning,” Kullu’s Superintendent of Police Ashok Kumar told IANS.
Government officials said Adamkova was re-issued a visa with a rider that she could not visit Kullu. But she arrived there Feb 21.
“We have given an opportunity to hear her. Any further action, if any, will be decided after that,” Kumar added.
The work visa of Adamkova was extended despite objections from the trust’s Indian members, who said she was allegedly involved in financial irregularities.
“The (Indian) trustees, who are her employers, were not in favour of granting work visa again to her. Chief Secretary Rajwant Sandhu, who is also a member of the trust, wrote to the foreign secretary not to renew Admakova’s work visa that expired in January,” a trustee said.
“But before the secretary took note of it, Adamkova got it for a year,” the trustee said.
On reaching Kullu, she visited FRO but authorities there refused to register her name owing to violations in visa norms.
The trust was founded by Roerich’s daughter-in-law, the late film actress Devika Rani. Registered in April 1993, the 13-member trust also has Russian Ambassador to India Alexander M. Kadakin as a trustee, while Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal is the ex-officio president.
- Roerich Trust official has valid visa, says police now - Feb 28, 2012
- Another row dogs International Roerich Trust - Feb 26, 2012
- Roerich museum curator quits - Sep 09, 2012
- Roerich estate has 37 rare paintings of Russian painter - Sep 18, 2012
- Roerich row: Himachal counters Russian embassy remarks - Apr 25, 2012
- Roerich row: Russia seeks Indian government's intervention - Apr 23, 2012
- Russia confers top award on Roerich trust head - Jan 06, 2011
- No inventory of Roerich's paintings, says trust member - Oct 10, 2011
- Probe ordered in irregularities in Roerich trust - Feb 23, 2011
- International Roerich Trust mired in controversy - Sep 29, 2010
- Apex court upholds Karnataka's takeover of Devika Rani's estate (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Supreme Court upholds Karnataka's acquisition of Devika Rani's estate - Aug 09, 2011
- Rose garden, art gallery at Roerich's Bangalore estate - Jul 06, 2012
- A visual chronicle of landmarks in India-Russia ties - Jun 09, 2010
- Roerich fans pay tribute to Russian artist in Naggar - Oct 10, 2009
Tags: ashok kumar, chief secretary, devika rani, employment visa, film actress, financial irregularities, indian members, irmt, member trust, memorial trust, nicholas roerich, police official, registration office, roerich museum, russian ambassador, russian painter, sandhu, tuesday morning, visa rules, work visa