Rhino census underway in West BengalMarch 29th, 2008 - 6:31 pm ICT by admin
Jalpaiguri (West Bengal), Mar 29 (ANI): The West Bengal forest department is conducting a census on the rhinoceros population of Gorumara National Park in Jaipaiguri District of West Bengal.
The forest department has started collecting specific information about each rhinoceros so that the animals can be easily identified in case of emergency.
“Male, female, adult and calf, these are what we will be looking at. We have clicked their photographs and will give them specific identification marks on the basis of either their horns or tales or a mark on their body. We will try to do this in this census so that we can register the details about each rhinoceros,” said Tapash Das, District Forest Officer, Wild life, Jaipaiguri Division.
Forest officials say that poaching is virtually non-existent at Gorumara due to extremely alert guards and cooperative foresters, but an adverse sex ratio does not augur well for the rhinos.
The one-horned rhino, which is found only in the forests of India, are in maximum number in the Kaziranga National Park in Assam, where about 1700 of the species are believed to graze in the vast marshy grasslands of the mighty Brahmaputra river basin. (ANI)
- Rhino population in West Bengal forest goes up - Feb 19, 2009
- Experts urged to reduce animal deaths in floods - Jul 07, 2012
- One-horned rhino killed in Kaziranga park - Oct 28, 2010
- Assam's one-horned rhino population rises by 250 - Apr 09, 2012
- Two poachers killed in Kaziranga, rhino found dead (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- Rhino census to be held in Assam from March 15 - Feb 28, 2012
- Rhino killed by poachers in Kaziranga - Feb 04, 2010
- Four Kaziranga rhinos to be released in Manas - Feb 19, 2012
- 'Lack of political will behind conservation woes' (With Image) - May 19, 2012
- Rhino poached in Kaziranga National Park - Apr 12, 2012
- Siliguri forest officials undertake rhino census - Mar 12, 2011
- Rhino found dead in Kaziranga - Jan 28, 2010
- Rhinos number in Assam's Orang, Pabitora up - Mar 20, 2012
- Rhino, bison census conducted in West Bengal - Feb 27, 2010
- Conservation efforts help increase Nepal's rhino population - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: assam, brahmaputra river, female adult, forest department, forest officer, forest officials, foresters, grasslands, jalpaiguri, kaziranga national park, maximum number, rhino, rhinoceros, rhinoceros population, rhinos, river basin, sex ratio, tapash, west bengal, wild life