Red-haired and freckly people most likely to use sunbedsApril 29th, 2010 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 29 (ANI): Red-haired people with freckles are among the most likely to use sunbeds, it has been claimed.
Nina Goad, from the British Association of Dermatologists, said: ‘People with very pale skin will never tan through UV exposure, they will only ever burn. If you are very pale and you want a tan, you will most likely find self tan products far more effective.
‘Pale skinned people are also at far higher risk of skin cancer than other groups, so it is alarming that they are the most inclined to use sunbeds. This shows the pressure on pale skinned people to tan and the lengths that people will go to for a bronzed look.’
According to the survey of 1064 adults from across the UK, conducted for the British Association of Dermatologists, only one in four people who like to tan used cosmetic products to do so, reports The Telegraph.
Around 70 percent said they sunbathed while 4 percent used sunbeds.
‘It is ironic that in trying to meet an ideal of beauty, people are actually seriously damaging their skin.’ said Goad. ‘The truth is, to a greater or lesser extent according to skin type, sun exposure increases the risk of premature ageing, including wrinkles and sunspots, and more importantly potentially disfiguring or life-threatening skin cancer.’(ANI)
- Keep wrinkles at bay, protect skin from childhood - May 11, 2012
- Sun bed use far riskier than getting naturally tanned - Apr 14, 2010
- 20pct recession-hit Brits planning sunbed holiday - May 11, 2009
- Sunbeds as dangerous as ciggies, booze - Jul 29, 2009
- Teenagers using sunbeds may develop deadly skin cancer - Aug 02, 2010
- Sunbed-lovers 'risking their eyesight by failing to wear protective goggles' - Aug 17, 2010
- FDA warns vacationers of tanning health risks as Memorial Day weekend approaches - May 26, 2010
- Tanning makes women sexier: Study - Dec 09, 2010
- Sunbeds 'double skin cancer risk for teens' - Aug 01, 2010
- Sunbeds double skin cancer risk in teens - Aug 02, 2010
- Relatives of melanoma patients still ignoring Sun safety advice: Study - Feb 21, 2011
- Health warnings about sunlight-skin caner link 'leading to Vitamin D deficiencies' - Aug 10, 2009
- Free mobile app for skin cancer screening - Jul 12, 2012
- Busting myths about tanning and sun protection - May 25, 2010
- Cricket fans, go easy on face paint and wear cotton! - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,