Raza painting to be sold by Sotheby’s (With Image)March 19th, 2012 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) Leading Indian contemporary artist S.H. Raza’s most significant work, “Village with Church”, once owned by John D. Rockefeller III, will be auctioned at Sotheby’s in New York. It is estimated at $2 million, the auction house said ahead of the sale late Monday.
Director of Sotheby’s in India, Maithili Parekh, said the oil painting on canvas in 1958 was purchased by the Rockfellers from the Graham Gallery in New York in an exhibition, “Trends in Contemporary Painting in India” in 1958-1959.
“It remained in their collection till 1994. Rockefeller and his wife befriended Raza in the early 1960s while he was at Berkeley as a visiting professor at the University of California, following which he was invited to NYC as a recipient of the Rockefeller Fellowship,” Parekh said.
She added that John and his wife Blanchette were two of the earliest champions of modern Indian paintings in US. “Their patronage and support were key to introducing the work of the Progressive Artist’s Group in US, of which ‘Village with Church’ is a significant example,” she said.
Former representative of the Rockfeller Foundation, Thomas Keehn, who lived in India and befriended many artists from the Progressive Group, went on to organise “8 Painters”, an exhibition of their work held in Delhi in 1956, which included “Village With Church”.
This exhibition later expanded to “Trends In Contemporary Painting In India” and became the first such exhibition ever mounted in US.
- 'Raza masterpiece unsold but art market stable' - Mar 22, 2012
- Four private Indian art archives from US on sale at Sotheby's - Aug 09, 2012
- Husain, Raza highlights of Sotheby's Asian art sale - May 18, 2011
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Rare Indian, Asian art at Christie's sale (With Images) - Mar 15, 2012
- Where Indian art meets global creativity (With Image) - Jan 26, 2012
- Return of modern masters at Sotheby's India Art Auction - Jun 08, 2010
- Munch's 'The Scream' sold for record $119 million at U.S. art auction - May 03, 2012
- Akbar Padamsee to lead Sotheby's Asian art sale - Feb 18, 2011
- Slice of Mughal history on sale at Sotheby's - Oct 30, 2011
- Arpita Singh sets record as art mart booms again - Dec 11, 2010
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Souza lead auction stakes at Christie's - May 26, 2011
- India inspired design on sale at Sotheby's - Feb 14, 2012
- Husain fetches Rs.1.45 crore at art auction - Nov 06, 2011
Tags: 1960s, auction house, blanchette, contemporary artist, contemporary painting, indian paintings, john d rockefeller, maithili, march 19, New Delhi, oil painting on canvas, painters, painting on canvas, parekh, patronage, progressive group, rockefeller fellowship, rockfeller foundation, sotheby s, visiting professor