President, PM greet nation on Raksha Bandhan (Lead)August 12th, 2011 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday greeted the nation on the occasion of Raksha Bandhan and hoped the festival helps strengthen the bonding among people and highlights the importance of women in society.
In her statement, the president said Raksha Bandhan “symbolizes love and mutual trust between sisters and brothers.”
“May this festival strengthen fraternal feelings and the spirit of kindness and goodwill in our society, as we strive collectively for the well-being of our people,” she added.
Raksha Bandhan is a reaffirmation of the sibling bond where sisters tie a thread, or rakhi, on their brothers’ wrist.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in his message said the “unique festival of Raksha Bandhan fosters community bonding irrespective of caste or creed and highlights the importance of women in Indian society”.
He said the country “needs to renew its commitment to a just society free of all prejudice”.
“May the festival bring happiness and peace to all,” he added.
Vice President Hamid Ansari called upon people to imbibe the ideals associated with the festival to foster the spirit of amity, harmony and goodwill.
Ansari in his message said the festival promotes harmonious social life by reaffirming faith in the traditional values of love and protection.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said the festival “not only celebrates love and affection, but has always given a message of harmony and solidarity.”
“It has helped humankind in understanding finer aspects of life among us. With time, the festival has gained more meaning and value in consolidating the fabric of our venerated composite culture.”
She also tied rakhi to a group of differently-abled children at the parliament house Saturday.
- Vice President greets nation on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 12, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 01, 2012
- Rakhi highlights importance of women in Indian society: PM - Aug 12, 2011
- President greets nation on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 01, 2012
- Meira Kumar greets people on Rakhi - Aug 12, 2011
- President, Vice President greet people ahead of Raksha Bandhan - Aug 23, 2010
- President greets nation on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 23, 2010
- Delhi celebrates Raksha Bandhan with fervour - Aug 02, 2012
- President, prime minister greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Delhi Metro plans extra trips for Raksha Bandhan - Aug 01, 2012
- School kids send 60,000 handmade rakhis to soldiers - Jul 28, 2011
- President, PM, Sonia greet nation on Eid - Nov 06, 2011
- Political VVIPs celebrate Raksha Bandhan with kids - Aug 24, 2010
- Raksha Bandhan celebrated with great enthusiasm - Aug 05, 2009
- President, PM greet nation on occasion of Raksha Bandhan - Aug 04, 2009
Tags: abled, amity, aspects of life, composite culture, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, meira kumar, mutual trust, parliament house, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rakhi, raksha bandhan, reaffirmation, sibling bond, sisters and brothers, traditional values, women in society