Popular self-help author Stephen Covey dies at 79July 17th, 2012 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) Popular American self-help author Stephen
R. Covey, whose 1989 book “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”
shot him to international fame, died early Monday in Idado from
complications arising from a bicycle accident in April. He was 79.
Described as “one of business world’s most creative thinkers” from the US media, Covey was recognised as one of Time magazine’s 25 most influential Americans.
He dedicated his life to demonstrating “how every person can truly
control their destiny with guidance”. As an internationally respected leadership authority, family expert, teacher, organisation consultant and author, his counselling has given insight to millions.
An estimate on his website says Covey sold 20 million copies of the
“The 7 Habits…” in 38 languages. It was named the most influential business book of the 20th century.
He had authored four titles, “First Things First”, “Principle-Centered Leadership”, “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families” and “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”. His latest book, “The 8th Habit” has sold nearly 400,000 copies.
Covey was honoured with the International Man of Peace Award and
National Fatherhood Award. He was the father of nine and the
grandfather of 44.
“The 7 Habits…” , has been a beat-seller because it ignores trends and pop psychology for proven principles of fairness, integrity, honesty, and human dignity.
- S&S; in town, cult babycare book in tow - Aug 07, 2011
- J.K. Rowling WIns Hans Christian Andersen Literature Prize - Oct 20, 2010
- Manmohan Singh, Tendulkar among 10 Indians in "Time 100" - Apr 30, 2010
- Manmohan, Tendulkar among world's most influential: Time (Lead) - Apr 30, 2010
- Teenage fatherhood hampers educational development - Mar 31, 2011
- Eat, workout, sleep, bond to remain fit - Nov 29, 2010
- NBC all set to premiere 'The Paul Reiser Show' on April 14 - Mar 23, 2011
- Bhopal and books - a forever affair (Feature) - Oct 03, 2011
- 16th century diagrams detail world's first ever nose jobs - Dec 28, 2010
- Shakira's father pens down self-help book for parents - Dec 16, 2011
- Anna inspires sale of Vivekananda's books - Aug 22, 2011
- Author-diplomat Navtej Sarna gets Sikh Heritage Award - Oct 16, 2011
- Yogananda biography wins international award - May 25, 2012
- Queers, self-help, Delhi on book shelf (IANS Books This Week) - Nov 17, 2011
- Barack Obama high on Indian bookseller lists - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: 7 habits of highly effective families, 7 habits of highly effective people, 8th habit, author stephen covey, bicycle accident, business book, creative thinkers, early monday, expert teacher, first principle, human dignity, international fame, international man, man of peace, most influential americans, peace award, pop psychology, principle centered leadership, stephen r covey, time magazine