Phuket, Paris…fashion fraternity’s holiday hot spotsJune 18th, 2009 - 11:44 am ICT by IANS
By Shilpa Raina
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) Thai beaches, Swiss mountains, Paris shopping arcades — those are the magical destinations the fashion fraternity here is dreaming of as the temperatures soar in the Indian plains.
Designer Alpana of label Azara vouches for Costa Moi in Thailand because it has clean beaches. “I went there with my husband after my marriage and fell in love with the place,” she said.
“It has amazing beaches and the people there are so lively. It just lifts up your spirit,” Alpana told IANS.
For Rana Gill, Paris is a great holiday destination because it has great siteseeing opportunities, good restaurants and endless shopping avenues. “That place is just perfect for a romantic holiday getaway and at the same time you can shop there as well,” he said.
“I used to love Delhi but over the years it has become so crowded and polluted that I have started hating it. I am also in love with beaches as they are beautiful and you do not have to carry baggage and clothes are minimal too,” he added.
For model Amanpreet Wahi, Phuket in Thailand is a shoppers’ paradise and a travellers’ delight because “you can do anything over there - dance on the streets, go nuts on the beach and have loads and loads of fun”.
Model Esha Gupta says she would love to go to Spain not only for its beaches but also for its goodlooking men.
“I have never been to Spain but I would very much like to go there because I have heard a lot about the place and Spanish men. I’m a water person and I also like sun…so any place that has these two things is simply perfect for me,” Gupta said.
Picturesque Switzerland has been an ideal romantic getaway and designer Charu Parashar says, “I feel I am in other world as the place is so serene and calm.”
Ritu Kumar, known for her ethnic Indian designs, finds the capital’s heat unbearable.
“Delhi is getting hotter day by day. I have always been in love with mountains and sea, so I can go to any place that has either mountains or sea,” said Kumar.
There are some who prefer to stay back in India and visit places like Srinagar, Jaipur during holidays.
Rahul of label Sirali loves to be in his home town Jaipur because of its “warm” people and exotic food. “Jaipur is the city one should not miss because people there are so down-to-earth and value relationships, a thing which is missing in metropolitan areas.
“People will accept you the way you are. You do not have to pretend. So what matters to me is the people and not the place,” Rahul said.
Model Laxmi Rana enjoys going to Kashmir and says she can’t afford to miss its beauty. “I love Srinagar, especially the drive between Srinagar and Kargil is so amazing that you can’t even afford to wink. I am in love with the place,” she said.
A nice getaway has a different meaning for designer Leena Singh of Ashima-Leena duo, as she prefers to get close to her spiritual side when she takes a break.
“For me the best place on this earth is the ashram of my guruji where I mediate as that is the only place where I can be myself and learn to get close to the almighty,” Leena explained.
(Shilpa Raina can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Designers happy as business takes front seat at WIFW (Review) - Apr 11, 2011
- Indian travellers are spoilt for choice - May 26, 2011
- Breaking free this Raksha Bandhan and Independence Day - Aug 02, 2011
- Wary of swim wear? Here's how to take plunge - Jun 04, 2011
- Celebrating life as a picnic in scenic Kashmir (Feature, With Images) - Aug 23, 2011
- (After 2) Designer wear replica beckons in Delhi's bylanes - Nov 08, 2009
- Where do Goans go for holidays? (Letter from Goa) - Mar 30, 2011
- Young designers shone, but business lagged at Pakistan fashion week (Review) - Apr 02, 2011
- Maldives or Uzbekistan - where's your exotic honeymoon? - Oct 09, 2011
- Too many fashion weeks spoilt the year (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 23, 2010
- Monsoon, here they come...in shorts, bright colours, chappals - Jul 11, 2010
- Be my Valentine, at an exotic place (With Images) - Feb 09, 2010
- Gulf buyers, online orders spelt business at WIFW (Review) - Mar 30, 2010
- 'Politics hampers fashion in Pakistan' - Nov 01, 2009
- WIFW gets grander with bigger venue, 115 designers - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: alpana, arcades, charu, goodlooking men, gupta, holiday destination, hot spots, loads of fun, parashar, paris fashion, paris shopping, phuket, raina, ritu, romantic getaway, romantic holiday getaway, shoppers paradise, spanish men, swiss mountains, water person