Parents breeding ‘zombie generation’ by allowing kids mobiles in bedJune 8th, 2009 - 1:09 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 8 (ANI): Parents who allow their kids to take their mobile phones to bed have been blamed for encouraging a generation of over-tired “zombies” in a new study.
Child psychologist Michael Carr-Gregg says that “stupid” parents are putting their child’s health at risk by letting them do so.
According to the survey, nearly 1.6 million children under 18 were allowed to have their mobiles at night.
The study found that almost 40 per cent of kids between four and seven years had their own mobile, and a quarter took it to their bedrooms.
Dr Carr-Gregg said 40 per cent of children turned up sleep deprived on school nights, while the number rose to 69 per cent for 12 to 18-year-olds.
“I personally know of six and seven-year-olds staying up to 3 to 4am to send text messages to their friends. That’s just insane. We know that young people are the most sleep deprived segment of the population,” News.com.au quoted him as saying.
Parents, who gave little time to their kids and provided phones, TVs and computers in their bedrooms, were held responsible for the phenomenon, dubbed by the expert as “neglect amid affluence”.
He added: “They build these big houses but the children grow up in emotional silos. I reckon that the economic downturn is going to exacerbate the problem.” (ANI)
- Kids with TVs in their bedrooms 'likelier to be overweight' - May 02, 2011
- All work and no play makes Jack a 'depressed' boy - Nov 04, 2009
- Facebook 'frenemies' most likely to hurt kids as young as 8 - Oct 03, 2010
- Child psychologist calls for ban on Bonds bra for 8-year-olds - Jun 20, 2010
- New book teaches kids how to 'make bomb and cook CDs in a microwave'! - Feb 02, 2010
- New Zealand opposes bra for six-year-olds - Oct 01, 2010
- High tech gadgets sound the death knell for Barbies - Dec 06, 2009
- Smacking makes kids 'aggressive' - Apr 23, 2010
- British parents regret gifting gadgets to kids - Jun 01, 2012
- Oz underwear giant criticised for selling bras for six-year-olds - Sep 29, 2010
- Adults 'not losing any sleep' over computers - Dec 13, 2011
- Children from broken homes 'twice as likely to have emotional problems' - Oct 15, 2010
- Sleep problems may cause kids to become aggressive - Jun 01, 2011
- How to give your baby a good night sleep - Aug 14, 2010
- Gizmos replacing pens as kids' essential classroom kit: Survey - Apr 24, 2011
Tags: 18 year olds, 6 million, affluence, big houses, child psychologist, dr carr, economic downturn, little time, michael carr gregg, mobile phones, neglect, news com au, phenomenon, population news, seven years, silos, stupid parents, text messages, zombie, zombies