Panaji — a jazz twin of Dutch town?February 8th, 2011 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 8 (IANS) Jazz musicians from the town of Amersfoot near Amsterdam will Feb 13 descend here in a bid to beef up a campaign to make this Goa capital a ‘twin jazz city’ to the Dutch town. “It’s a first of its kind concept. The mayor of Amersfoot in the Netherlands is focussing on designating Panaji and Amersfoot as twin Jazz cities. Both cities are similar, they have river ways, gardens and are quaint in their own right,” Armando Gonsalves, a Jazz promoter from Goa, told reporters.
“This move will attract the cream of top jazz bands seeking to perform in Goa, which in turn will provide a fillip to music tourism. Association with jazz could help make Goa a universally prominent tourist destination,” Gonsalves said.
The musicians will be here for a three-day Jazz for Goa festival Feb 13-15.
Well-known jazz artist Saskia Laroo, a 13-member Dutch jazz exponent, and another Dutch trio namely Roy Dackus, Theo de Jong, Alexander Beets, will also be participating in the festival.
Gonsalves said the event would also have a green component, where environment related issues confronting Panaji would be discussed by experts.
“We will have a seminar on urban environment, highlighting Goa’s environmental problems and solutions using the Dutch experiences and expertise,” Gonsalves said.
Apart from the formal concerts, the Jazz maestros will also visit an old-age home in Uccasaim where they will perform for the elderly inmates of St Joseph’s Eventide Home.
“The musicians will also visit Margaret Bosco Bal Sadan to musically mix with street kids,” Gonsalves said.
- Jazz musicians in Delhi mix new sounds with new venues (Feature) (With images) - Jul 23, 2012
- The real 'Anthony Gonsalves' no more - Jan 19, 2012
- Child poverty film wins short film award at IFFI - Dec 01, 2011
- Winter fest, youngsters give jazz a chance - Dec 14, 2011
- Goa University to have Mario Miranda, Anthony Gonsalves chairs - May 03, 2012
- Goa ropes in famed Konkani singer to draw tourists - Aug 16, 2010
- Egypt brings new fusion culture package to India (With Image) - Jan 31, 2012
- Goa Catholic priest, 500 others booked for assaulting cops - Feb 26, 2012
- Jugglers, acrobats, jazz artists to enliven IFFI this year - Nov 10, 2010
- Goa's carnival festivities in limbo due to polls - Feb 09, 2012
- Goa carnival begins March 5 (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Goan NRIs campaign against illegal mining - Jan 22, 2012
- Big B mourns death of Anthony Gonsalves - Jan 19, 2012
- Rs.50 million for grabs at Goa casino festival - Sep 24, 2011
- A third of Goa's population dependent on tourism: Minister - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: beets, de jong, dutch jazz, dutch town, dutch trio, environmental problems, eventide, fillip, formal concerts, goa, jazz artist, jazz bands, jazz city, jazz musicians, jazz promoter, saskia laroo, street kids, tourism association, tourist destination, urban environment