Over 5 lakh pilgrims visited Amarnath this yearAugust 20th, 2008 - 10:46 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, August 20 (ANI): The Ministry of Home Affairs on Wednesday said a total of 5, 29,697 pilgrims visited Amarnath this year.
The pilgrimage was conducted from June 18 to August 16.
According to Ministry this is a record at least for the last 20 years, for which figures are available. The previous highest figure for pilgrims in a single year to Amarnath was 4,00,000 in 2004.
This years pilgrim was conducted in spite of the ongoing agitation in Kashmir as well as in Jammu.
It was not disturbed at any time in any way and there were no major reports of pilgrims being inconvenienced. The pilgrims were also provided with the facilities this year that they had been receiving in the previous years.
The State Government and the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) together with the efforts of the people of the Kashmir valley have provided all necessary facilities and made the efforts for the pilgrimage to be conducted peacefully. (ANI)
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Over 1 lakh pilgrims visit Amarnath shrine in 5 days - Jun 30, 2012
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 13, 2011
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011