Over 10,000 teachers observe 2-hour strike in PunjabJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 22 (IANS) Over 10,000 teachers of various government and private colleges in Punjab and Chandigarh observed a strike for two hours Thursday to press for their pay hike demand.The teachers are demanding the Punjab government to implement the new by the University Grants Commission (UGC) pay scale approved by the government Dec 31 last year.
Eighty percent of funds will be released by the central government and the Punjab government has to contribute only 20, said Jagwant Singh, general secretary of Punjab Federation of University and College Teachers Organisation (PFUCTO).
“Till now we got no communication from the authorities in this regard, whereas the neighbouring states of Haryana and Himachal Pradesh are on the final stages of implementing the fresh norms,” said Singh.
He said teachers would go on a mass casual leave and hold a protest rally in Chandigarh Jan 28 if their demands were not met.
- Teachers' mass leave paralyses Punjab colleges, universities - Jan 28, 2009
- Private college teachers on strike in Punjab, Chandigarh - Nov 08, 2011
- Punjab, Chandigarh private college teachers on mass leave - Mar 15, 2011
- Punjab, Chandigarh colleges to remain shut Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Punjab, Chandigarh college teachers on strike again - Dec 13, 2011
- Strike paralyses teaching in Punjab, Chandigarh colleges - Nov 30, 2011
- College teachers in Punjab, Chandigarh on 72-hour strike - Mar 03, 2009
- 'Punjab colleges staff go without salaries for months' - May 15, 2012
- Family matter: BJP government fights criticism from within (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Feb 19, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi University on teachers' attendance - Aug 29, 2012
- Himachal promoting private universities, says Congress - Mar 15, 2011
- Haryana government doctors cease work - Nov 08, 2011
- Over 180 Punjab colleges observe 'education shutdown' Friday - Feb 26, 2010
- Punjab teachers union condemns Khalsa university move - Apr 11, 2011
- Punjab seeks centre's help over Thapar University quota - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: authorities, central government, college teachers, general secretary, haryana, himachal pradesh, jan 28, neighbouring states, norms, pay scale, private colleges, protest rally, punjab chandigarh, punjab government, regard, ugc, university grants commission