Olympics medal winners Sushil, Vijender return homeAugust 26th, 2008 - 10:16 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi , Aug 26 (ANI): Wrestler Sushil Kumar and boxer Vijender Singh, who had won bronze medals in their respective categories, returned home in the wee hours of morning. Both were given a rousing welcome at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport.
Besides their family members, a host of sports administrators, thousands of fans and friends had gathered at the Airport to receive them with beating drums, garlands and banners.
Sushil Kumar won the medal in the mens 66 kg freestyle category, defeating Leonid Speiridonov of Kazakhistan. He became the second Indian wrestler after 56 years to bag a bronze medal. Earlier, Khashaba Jadhav of Karad, Maharashtra , had won an individual bronze in the Helsinki Olympics in 1952.
Vijender Kumar became the first-ever Indian boxer to win an Olympic medal. His performance also boosted India ‘’s medal tally in Beijing Olympics to three, after shooter Abhinav Bindra won gold in 10m air rifle event and wrestler Sushil Kumar bagged bronze.
Today, both Sushil and Vijender are scheduled to meet Union Sports Minister MS Gill, President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
Arriving by the same flight were officials of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), including its president Suresh Kalmadi, secretary general Randhir Singh along with members of the contingent who finished their events in the second week of the Games.
India won three medals at the Beijing Olympics, their best ever performance at the Summer Games. Earlier, in 1928, India had only won four individual medals, none of them gold, since sending their first team to the Summer Games.
The mens hockey team has won the Olympic tournament eight times. Last time it won gold was in 1980. (ANI)
- Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheers - Jul 28, 2012
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- Sushil, Yogeshwar return home to hero's welcome - Aug 14, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) - Aug 12, 2012
- Stardom in Beijing, immortalized in London (Profile) (Lead, correcting dateline) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Bindra, Vijender part of Samsung Sports Ratna programme - Jun 29, 2010
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- Carnival at Baprola village as Sushil scripts history - Aug 12, 2012
- For Yogeshwar, London was 'now or never' - Aug 12, 2012