Now, dog shows catch the Size 0 bug!February 22nd, 2009 - 12:24 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 22 (ANI): Size Zero is no longer restricted to the entertainment industry, for the waif-thin vision has spread to the world of pedigree dog shows.
A row has sparked in the UK amid claims that owners are denying their animals food and water in order to win competitions.
According to experts, some pooches are starved in order to meet strict weight limits at similar shows around the country, reports the Telegraph.
The row centres on Miniature Dachshunds, which breeding guidelines state must be no heavier than 11lbs.
In response to fears that owners were denying food and water to dogs in the hours before they were due on the scales, the Kennel Club has banned weigh-ins for the breed at Crufts.
It recommends that bowls of water be provided to prevent the dogs from dehydrating but critics say this has done nothing to stop the problem.
“This is Size Zero for dogs,” said Jemima Harrison, producer of a BBC documentary which in 2008 exposed breeding techniques which led to genetic illnesses that affect pedigree dogs.
“I am inundated with owners and judges who say they are seeing dehydrated or malnourished dogs on the scales, all for the sake of a rosette. It sounds funny to think of dogs having the same issues as fashion models but it is a serious welfare issue.
“For these owners it is all about winning and nothing else, Harrison added. (ANI)
- Hitler dog advert cleared as 'not offensive' - Mar 25, 2010
- Hostel for pooches in Bihar to ease dog owners' worries - Nov 13, 2009
- Over 400 dogs participate in Ludhiana's dog show - Nov 29, 2010
- Over 300 dogs participate in Amritsar show - Dec 20, 2010
- Labrador Retriever named America's top dog - Jan 27, 2011
- American Kennel Club Recognizes Three New Breeds - Jan 29, 2011
- "Leonberger" Dog And "Cane Corso" Joins AKC Family - Jun 30, 2010
- Using dogs to 'sniff out' wildlife - Jan 12, 2011
- Dogs overtaking cats as UK's favourite pet - Apr 03, 2011
- Brit dog falls off 200ft cliff, spends 6 days on bushy ledge, but survives! - May 31, 2010
- Kolkatans enthralled by dog show in the city - Jan 24, 2010
- Westminster Dog Show 2010 Held Recently - Feb 16, 2010
- Westminster Dog Show 2012 will showcase new breeds - Jan 25, 2012
- Meet the diva pooch that walks on her hind legs, carries her own handbag! - Oct 22, 2010
- Mariah Carey hires dog shrink to ready dogs for twin babies' arrival - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: bbc documentary, bowls, crufts, dachshunds, dehydrating, entertainment industry, fashion models, genetic illnesses, ins, jemima harrison, kennel club, london feb, miniature dachshunds, pedigree dogs, pooches, rosette, scales, size zero, waif, welfare issue