Now chug into Mysore on ‘Malgudi Express’September 25th, 2011 - 12:23 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Sep 24 (IANS) The Malgudi days are here again. And so is the “Malgudi Express” - chugging between Mysore and the Yashwantpur station of Bangalore.
Fiction? No. In a tribute to R.K.Narayan, who created Malgudi in his superfine mind and gave the world the endearing Swamy and his friends from this imagined village in Mysore, the railways have decided to run the “Malgudi Express”.
“The Mysore-Yesvantpur-Mysore Express is named with immediate effect ‘Malgudi Express’ after the fictitious town created by the late writer R.K. Narayan,” the railway ministry said in release here.
Yesvantpur is the third major railway station in Bangalore and is about 10 km north of the city centre.
Mysore, the city of palaces where Narayan lived for over 40 years from 1950s and wrote his masterpieces, is about 140 km from Yesvantpur.
Early this month the state government took over the late writer’s house and would turn into a heritage building. The building had been sold by Narayan’s grandchildren to a private person as they could not maintain it while living in Chennai.
The new owner had begun demolition of the house but the government intervened to stop it and took over the structure after pleas by admirers of Narayan.
Narayan died in Chennai in 2001, aged 95 years.
- R.K. Narayan's 'Guide' comes to Indian stage in theatrical avatar (Preview) (With image) - Mar 13, 2012
- Collision hits train services on Bangalore-Chennai route - Sep 14, 2011
- Train accident derails services - Sep 14, 2011
- Non-stop Duronto train between Bangalore and Howrah soon - Dec 08, 2009
- Bangalore cops scotch rumours as northeast students flee - Aug 16, 2012
- Tamil Nadu gets new trains; bio-diesel, windmill plants (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Rockets, Mahatma and army: Books to beat the chill (IANS Books This Week) - Dec 23, 2010
- Exodus to northeast from Bangalore down to trickle - Aug 18, 2012
- 16 arrested in Bangalore, northeast exodus subsides (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Travel Bangalore-Mysore on country's longest bus - Sep 04, 2012
- Four held for pushing woman out of train - Jul 25, 2012
- Mixed reaction in Karnataka on rail projects for state - Mar 14, 2012
- Karnataka mulls bullet trains for high-speed connectivity - Jun 04, 2012
- 147 trains cancelled in view of Telangana blockade (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Ruckus over union minister's visit to Himachal - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: 1950s, admirers, bangalore, city of palaces, demolition, fictitious town, grandchildren, heritage, malgudi days, masterpieces, mysore, private person, r k narayan, railway station, railways, state government, swamy, tribute