Now bid online for international designer jewelleryMarch 26th, 2010 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 26 (IANS) European styled cut baguette diamonds, brown diamonds used in white gold and signed pieces from international design houses like Cartier, Tiffany, Chopard and Boucheron will be auctioned online in April.
This is the fourth online jewellery auction by Saffronart, a venture which organises online bidding of Indian art and jewellery.
The auction on April 7-8 will feature antique jewellery and accessories like brooches, cufflinks, watches.
This year’s jewellery is inspired from the Indian art and European designs of the 1940s. “We have several pieces of period jewellery too. Kundan and polki diamonds jewellery, coloured diamonds, South Indian gold are used extensively in this collection,” Saffronart owner Minal Vazirani told IANS.
The art deco-emerald and diamond necklace will be auctioned in the range of Rs.5,750,000 and Rs.6,500,000. This is the most expensive jewellery of the April online auction.
“The jewellery is from different places, from manufacturers, traders and collectors. The idea is to bring a vast variety under one roof for the bidders,” said Bhuvan Khimji, consultant with Saffronart.
The Columbian untreated emerald necklace is one of the best example of collector’s item, he added.
In the total number of auctioning years, the money generated is less than Rs.23 crore. “I think another three to five years time frame will see an expansion,” said Vazirani.
The number of bidders have also increased and the expectation is a lot more this year. The first auction was held in 2000.
“We started with less than 100 bidders in the first year and there were 900 registered bidders last year. This is a phenomenal growth,” she added.
- Hollywood star jeweller's India-inspired works on auction - Oct 10, 2010
- Jewellery auction market shows signs of recovery - Apr 15, 2010
- Auction market for watches, jewels looking up - Oct 21, 2010
- Online auction of jewellery starts Tuesday - Oct 06, 2008
- Tyeb Mehta's 'Kali' sells for Rs.5.72 crore in online auction - Jun 20, 2011
- E-commerce changing India's art mart: Saffronart CEO (Interview) - Sep 15, 2011
- Bawa sets new price record at global online auction (With Image) - Dec 14, 2009
- Sabavala sets price record at Saffronart art summer sale - Jun 21, 2010
- Saffronart summer sale to focus on modern masters (With Images) - Jun 13, 2010
- Art, accessory auctions gather pace in India - Aug 18, 2010
- Roller coaster year for Indian art (2011 in Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Arpita Singh sets record as art mart booms again - Dec 11, 2010
- Raza, Husain, Souza top grossers in online art auction - Sep 14, 2010
- Husain's work fetches over Rs.2 crore (With Image) - Mar 19, 2010
- Try a kundan choker with that gown (Feature) - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: 1940s, antique jewellery, art deco, bidders, boucheron, chopard, coloured diamonds, cufflinks, design houses, designer jewellery, different places, emerald and diamond necklace, emerald necklace, expectation, indian art, indian gold, online auction, phenomenal growth, rs 6, white gold