Noted poet, Booker judge on DSC literature prize panelApril 20th, 2012 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 20 (IANS) The DSC Prize for South Asian Literature Friday announced the induction of five new members to its advisory committee for the 2013 and 2014 editions of the $50,000 prize.
In a statement, the DSC Group said noted Indian poet Arvind Krishna Mehrotra, Booker Prize jury member Alastair Niven, author and South Asian literary expert Fakrul Alam, translator, editor and author Ira Pande and American author and journalist Marie Brenner have joined existing members William Dalrymple, David Godwin, Michael Worton and Surina Narula on the committee.
The prize, instituted in 2011, have honoured Pakistani novelist H.M. Naqvi (”Home Boy”) and Sri Lankan writer Shehan Karunatilaka (”Chinaman: The Legend of Pradeep Mathew”).
The new advisory committee will also recommend the appointment of the prize jury. The names will be announced in May.
The organisers have invited entries from publishers for the 2013 edition of the prize which is open to authors across the globe writing about South Asia.
The call for entries will remain open till June 15 for works of English fiction, including translations, published between Jan 1, 2011, and April 30, 2012.
The winner’s name will be announced in January 2013 at the Jaipur Literature Festival.
- Sri Lankan novelist wins $50,000 prize - Jan 22, 2012
- 16 authors in contention for Asian literature prize - Sep 14, 2011
- Amit Chaudhuri, Farooqui in contention for Asian literature prize - Oct 26, 2010
- New award for best South Asian fiction - Mar 23, 2010
- Literature fest to light up Jaipur - Dec 18, 2010
- New prize for south Asian literature in English - Jan 26, 2010
- 14 authors on South Asian literature prize long-list - Sep 21, 2010
- Ananthamurthy, Khair in contention for Asian literature prize - Oct 25, 2011
- Sub-continental writing very metropolitan: Ira Pande - May 09, 2011
- South Asian literature blitz in Britain - Oct 12, 2010
- Five books published in India on Commonwealth shortlist - Apr 26, 2012
- Growing concern over vernacular, classical literature at Jaipur fest - Jan 22, 2011
- Michael Ondaatje, Ben Okri, David Remnick at Jaipur Lit Fest - Dec 08, 2011
- Test cricket here to stay: Sri Lankan cricket novelist - Oct 04, 2011
- 'Essential Tagore' nominated best book of year - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: american author, arvind krishna mehrotra, booker prize, chinaman, david godwin, dsc group, english fiction, indian poet, jury member, literature festival, literature prize, marie brenner, michael worton, naqvi, narula, niven, pande, pradeep, south asian literature, william dalrymple