Nine mn Americans identify themselves as LGBT: ReportApril 8th, 2011 - 7:59 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 8 (IANS) About nine million people in the US identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT), according to a latest report.
About 1.8 percent of adults identify themselves as bisexual, 1.7 percent as gay or lesbian and 0.03 percent as transgender, researchers at the University of California-Los Angeles’ School of Law said in the study published by The Los Angeles Times.
The study included data and methods from nine surveys conducted over the last seven years and averaged results from five of those surveys to estimate sexual orientation.
It used data from two surveys to estimate the transgender population, Xinhua reported.
The findings also show that about 8.2 percent of Americans said they participated in same-sex sexual activity and about 11 percent said they had same-sex sexual attraction, but neither of these groups necessarily identified themselves as LGBT.
- Nearly 4 percent of America's population is made up of gays - Apr 09, 2011
- British gays not interested in marriage law - Jun 08, 2012
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual teens '40pc more likely to be punished' - Dec 06, 2010
- Obama's comment on Michelle taken as oral sex joke - Jun 08, 2012
- Homosexuals more likely to be punished - Dec 06, 2010
- Why girls kiss girls - Sep 16, 2010
- Need for inclusion, acceptance of gay community: Activists - Dec 23, 2011
- Madonna to support Russian gay community - Mar 23, 2012
- Gay pride parade taken out along Marina Beach in Chennai - Jun 28, 2010
- From closet to freedom for India's gays, two years on - Jul 01, 2011
- LGBT teens 40 pc likelier to be punished than normal teens: Study - Dec 07, 2010
- Custom made in India - holidays for LGBTs - Nov 28, 2011
- Delhi's gays set for celebrate July 2 - Jun 17, 2011
- Campaigning for gay rights with Hillary Clinton - Jul 02, 2011
- Gay community, celebs, UNAIDS slam Azad's MSM remark (Lead) - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: adults, california los angeles, los angeles times, nine mn, population, seven years, sexual activity, sexual attraction, sexual orientation, surveys, transgender, university of california, university of california los angeles, xinhua